Media Relations Manager
About the job
Media Relations Manager
This is a full-time position. The media relations manager develops and executes earned media strategy and holds primary responsibility for earned media results for assigned clients. This position is based out of Knoxville, Tennessee. Under normal circumstances, this position may include out of town travel based on assigned client(s), but travel is currently not required.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Project manager for assigned Piper Communications clients and projects
- Responsible for managing activities and projects for assigned clients. This includes but is not limited to: creating project plans that breakdown tasks and steps for communications and public relations strategies; handling the execution of projects and tasks, delegating and working with staff and consultants as needed; accountable for the success of client’s project.
- Point person for daily communication with assigned clients, providing president with regular status updates
- Responsible for tracking project progress and metrics, weekly and monthly
- Communicate needs, roadblocks, progress and concerns with project lead/president to develop action plans for addressing issues
Public & media relations
- Develop, manage, and/or execute client public relations strategies to support brand awareness and influence, narrative building, and client’s overall goals
- Brainstorm and draft media pitches and story ideas
- Pitch reporters and follow-up; obtain earned media stories
- Develop relationships and communicate with reporters, influencers, government officials, business and community leaders and other stakeholders to build and amplify client brands/solutions/objectives
- Create media lists and distribute media materials using Cision
- Coordinate interviews and prepare clients for interviews
- Track and report results
- Create media audits and other media tracking reports, including social media using Critical Mention and Coveragebook.
Content creation and research
- Conduct research, as needed, to inform execution of projects. Apply knowledge, research, and experience to inform project plans, address challenges and identify opportunities to enhance delivery of results to clients.
- Conduct research to inform media placement, reporter outreach, partnerships and messaging strategy
- Craft written materials including main messages, talking points, op-eds, newsletters, reports, blogs, targeted pitches, factsheets, talking points and toolkits
- And/or work with staff and consultants to draft, edit and finalize the above materials.
- Manage release of press releases to wire services
- Stay up-to-date on the national and local news cycles, particularly energy, technology, and client-related news
- Attend and assist with events and meetings, as requested
Other tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Database management
- Schedule coordination
- General office work
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Team player– willing to complete any task that is asked, puts success of the team above own interests
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adaptability– adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, changes approach or methods to best fit the situation, able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Self motivated and ability to complete tasks independently
- Problem solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes informational skillfully, knows when to ask for help, develops alternative solutions
- Proficient computer skills and programs including: Gsuite, Google searches, social media platforms, email, Cision, Critical Mention, Intrado/PR Newswire, Hootsuite, WordPress, MailChimp, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Working knowledge of technology: Apple computers, iPads/tablets, internet, smart phones and smart televisions
- Knowledge of industries that Piper Communications’ represents is a plus.
About PIPER Communications:
PIPER Communications is a result driven, public relations firm. The company specializes in clean energy and technology communications consulting with expertise in media relations and message development, coalition building, organization management, event planning and community/government relations.
Based on experience
Piper Communications offers a generous PTO policy, Simple IRA with employer match after 12 months employment, paid parking and health insurance to full time employees. Piper Communications also offers a flexible work environment with the option for employees to work from home and in the office.
Piper Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter/email and resume to email@example.com
Job posted: 2021-10-25