Media Relations Senior Manager
WHO WE ARE:
Proof Strategies works with value driven organizations and leaders who aspire to create positive change. As an agency partner, we’re committed to supporting our clients’ goals and actualizing their mission.
But what does this mean?
It means we try to live by our values – transparency, honesty, reliability, accountability – every day. And we hold ourselves accountable, and those we work with, to a high standard in order to meet those values. We expect you to Ask Better QuestionsÔ and bring the entrepreneurial spirit to your work, every day.
Culture is the character and personality of our organization, we practice internally what we say externally. This is what makes our business unique and why you’ll want to work with us. The sum of our values, traditions, beliefs, interactions, behaviors, and attitudes is what we bring with us to work – your work – every day.
WHAT ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are currently recruiting for a Media Relations Senior Manager to lead the agency’s media relations work across our portfolio of accounts. The role will plan and execute media relations campaigns and strategies at the international, national, state, and local levels. We want someone who is a big thinker, but also willing to get their hands dirty.
- Takes ownership of media campaigns from strategy and story angle development to execution and relationship-building with reporters on behalf of clients.
- Develop comprehensive multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing coverage of client work, announcements and campaigns.
- Work with senior team to develop and execute communications plans, integrating earned and digital media outreach to advance our clients’ business objectives and goals.
- Lead on composing press materials including news releases, blogs, position statements, and internal client memos.
- Build and maintain a list of media contacts covering client industry sectors. (Existing media contacts considered a plus that will help expand our clients’ network)
- Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Work closely with the Director of Strategy to amplify and promote content across target audiences.
- Manage the media relations “pod” and train and develop our junior staff media relations skills.
- Maintain contacts with media monitoring tools vendors, identify new opportunities to leverage tools to support media relations work for clients
- Develop proactive ideas to pitch to existing and prospective clients on media relations work.
- Participate in new business process including research, proposal and pitch preparation.
WHO YOU ARE:
A highly driven, exceptional leader who enjoys storytelling and delivering compelling client campaigns. This is the ideal role for a self-starter who is able to think creatively and strategically to garner earned media in a competitive news climate. You are eager to work collaboratively with both clients and teammates to do great work.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, or related field.
- 5+ years of public/ media relations, marketing and/or journalism, agency and public affairs experience is a plus.
- Strong media relations skills with the ability to spot, create and place a story in a range of traditional and digital media outlets.
- A concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms.
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist.
- Be a leader who takes initiative, learns from mistakes, and enjoys teaching and growing a team.
- A strong network of media relationships across a variety of industries.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to track and meet multiple deadline and projects.
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or international work.
- Nice and smart – we like to work with people we like.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible spending for health, transit and childcare benefits
- 401k plan
- One-time bike stipend to encourage environmentally-friendly commuting
- Professional development
- Yearly all-office retreat
- Quarterly team community volunteer opportunities
- Pro-bono work (Giving Tuesday)
- Holiday party for employees and guests
- Flexible working hours
- Summer hours on Friday
- 15 days of annual leave + holidays
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all Proof employees are working from home until it is safe to return to the office.
Proof Strategies provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-21