Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Media Relations Specialist
As a Media Relations Specialist, you will perform a full range of Media Relations functions and contribute to the public image of the Airports Authority.
Serves in the Office of Communications and Government Affairs at the Headquarters Office in Arlington, VA.
As an official media spokesperson, performs the full range of strategic media relations, public affairs, and public information functions. Performs related functions.
- Serves as an official, on-the-record Airports Authority spokesperson on assigned topics or issues; provides responses to media inquiries including television and radio interviews.
- Assists in leading media outreach efforts and in planning and preparing collateral material for external use (e.g., talking points and logistical support for media events.).
- Develops and leads media opportunities to promote key Airports Authority initiatives and projects; attends public hearings and meetings on behalf of the Airports Authority, as necessary, possibly including outside normal business hours.
- Identifies, prepares, disseminates, and follows up on news releases, media announcements, associated social media and online communications channels to promote the airports (Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport), the Airports Authority Police and Fire Departments, and the Dulles Toll Road (DTR).
- Provides public information and announces new initiatives, programs, meetings, and actions of the Airports Authority’s Board of Directors, as required.
- Assists in developing and maintaining emergency communication preparedness and response plans; supports Department efforts in emergency training exercises; may act as lead Media Relations representative during emergency response.
- Coordinates requests for filming news features and commercial projects at the Airports.
- Identifies and prepares content for the Airports Authority’s internal communications efforts; assists in developing, writing, and disseminating weekly employee newsletters and articles.
- May take the lead in developing programs and procedures for continuing outreach to community news publications and the airport/aviation, business and trade press.
- May serve as Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) for support services functions, such as the media monitoring services.
- May serve as photographer for special events.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in corporate or industry media relations/ communications.
- Ability to coordinate incoming media requests and respond in a timely manner.
- Ability to analyze newsworthy matters and to prepare and disseminate news/press releases, announcements, and media stories, and use new/emerging public affairs media tools.
- Skill in recommending, developing, and implementing strategic media plans.
- Knowledge of news industry standards, practices and ethics, and media relations principles, and the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with the news media.
- Well-developed skill in public speaking with emphasis on persuasive communication techniques.
- Well-developed skill in writing and editing standards.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain poise in time-sensitive and emergency situations.
- Ability to use a computer, camera, closed circuit TV, radio scanner, and other media equipment.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in any field.
Job posted: 2022-07-31