Media Relations Writer
Conservation International has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, Conservation International is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International seeks a Media Relations Writer to join its media relations team. This position plays an essential supportive role in helping raise the profile of Conservation International and the pressing environmental issues facing our world. Primary responsibilities include writing media relations materials, including press releases, executive bios, awards submissions, and other communications materials as needed. Additional responsibilities include curating and issuing daily clip report, creating and updating pitch lists, researching new outlets and opportunities for placement, and working directly with journalists, whether pitching stories or responding to requests. The Media Relations Writer would also serve as the primary publicist for at least one Conservation International initiative and report to the Media Relations Specialist.
Candidate should have a minimum of 3-4 years’ experience working in media relations or journalism and demonstrate superior AP style writing skills and pitch writing skills. They should also have the ability to “find” the news angle and distill complex scientific information, identify appropriate outlets and journalists, and have a working knowledge of how to communicate collaboratively with reporters, editors, producers and colleagues across time zones. Ideal candidate will have a strong interest in environmental and development issues and a strong interest in growing their career in the public and media relations field.
- Writing for the News Media & Pitch Writing
- Issuing Daily Clips, Media Monitoring
- Responding to Media Inquiries
- Research, discover, cultivate new opportunities
- Position is currently remote due to the pandemic but will be based in Conservation International’s US office in Arlington, VA. Some domestic and international travel required.
- 3-4 years’ experience in media relations or journalism with superior writing skills
- Strong interest in the news, including international news
- Strong organizational skills and collaborative work style
- Experience with PR tracking tools (Cision, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-28