Media Strategy Director
Position Title: Media Strategy Director
Reports To: Senior Vice President and Chief External Affairs Officer
Work Location: 425 West 47th Street, New York, New York 10019
Employment Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Serious mental illness affects 23 million people in the United States each year. The stigma, rejection, and isolation that accompany mental illness are often as damaging and debilitating as the illness itself.
We are at a moment of both peril and opportunity. A pandemic and protests spotlight the disparities in our nation, and the systemic undermining of human dignity for centuries. Those living with mental illness – especially if they are people of color – are among those most marginalized and at risk. But there is promise. The Clubhouse model, pioneered by Fountain House at its NYC base and inspiring 300 other Clubhouses worldwide that work with 100,000 people living with mental illness to access their potential, is a movement poised to grow, take action, and drive change.
Working with new leadership and an expanding communications and external affairs team, we intend to seize the moment. Our ambitions are high but sharp. Together, we will change the narrative around mental illness, build our advocacy base, and drive policy change that intersects with and is part of a broader social justice movement.
Media engagement is key to our strategy, and that’s where you come in. We are seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Media Strategy Director to deploy an earned media strategy that tells our story and marshals our data, advances our thought leadership, and promotes our research to reach a broad national audience that care about mental health as well as social justice.
The Media Strategy Director works closely with the Communications Director and Digital Engagement and Marketing Director. Candidates must be “pitch-perfect” media relations experts with a nose for news (coming with a bench of contacts in traditional, broadcast and new media), skilled writers, experienced with strategic communications campaigns, and committed to racial equity. As with all communications professionals, candidates must be collaborative and curious, and thrive in a high energy and deadline‑centered environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Develop and execute a media strategy that advances and elevates issues and brand.
· Regular pitching, including cultivation of journalists, bloggers, and other influential traditional and new media figures.
· Thought-leadership positioning and developing and deploy an executive promotion plan.
· Manage external media and PR support.
· Ghost write op-eds and other written products.
· Ensure staff are prepared for media and public appearances via formal media training and informal preparation sessions.
· Provide staff with concise and compelling messages, talking points and summaries.
· Message test and socialize with staff and stakeholders, ensuring brand integrity.
· Identify and deploy tools and software to track quantitative and qualitative metrics and KPIs that track the performance and effectiveness of media strategies.
· Lead special projects and other duties, as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Responsibilities:
· A track record of developing and executing innovative and effective strategies for engaging media at the national, regional, and local level
· A deep bench of contacts and robust relations with media.
· Ability to blend storytelling with facts to drive a compelling narrative.
Required and Preferred Education, Experience and Credentials:
· Must possess current and valid U.S. work authorization and be eligible to work for any U.S. employer without sponsorship.
· Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s degree preferred, particularly in the journalism, public relations and communications field.
· Seven to ten years work experience in progressive media, journalism or public relations.
· Crisis communications experience.
· Experience with social media platforms; Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, etc.
· Ability to perform the essential job functions consistently, safely and successfully with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
· Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state, and local standards.
To apply for this position, review our website at www.fountainhouse.org and please submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements via e‑mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fountain House, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At this time Fountain House, Inc. is not able to sponsor visas.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.
Job posted: 2021-02-06