Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Meetings and Communications Specialist, Senior
The Enterprise Meetings & Events team plans and produces best-in-class virtual and in-person events that deliver critical information and aligns our employees around our north star, so they understand their role in helping us create a healthcare system worthy of our family and friends. The Meetings and Communications Senior Specialist will dual-report to the Senior Manager, Meetings & Events and the Senior Manager, Content Strategy. In this role you will work closely and cross-functionally to collaborate with event stakeholders to identify event goals, develop and write content, manage logistics, budgets, and overall coordination of events – from the initial planning phase to on-site execution, and event close out. This position will play a key role in helping to create an outstanding employee experience and a great place to work.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement communication strategies for key executives and business stakeholders to forward business goals
- Manage communication processes and core channels, including leader blogs, articles, our company intranet (Shield Central), digital communication, email, and presentations
- Develop and manage editorial calendars and/or production for various internal communications and events
- Develop messaging platforms; write, edit, and produce internal communication messages on key strategies and initiatives
- Administer and coordinate key surveys and evaluations, including design, structure, content, channel, collection, analysis, recommendations, and follow-up
- Project manage a portfolio of events including: scheduling, calendaring senior staff and speakers, event operations (including both Zoom and in-person)
- Develop content for events: track business needs and recommend speakers and topics to address those needs, collaborate with the Creative Team to develop creative assets like videos and PowerPoint Presentations, write and send Outlook invitations using prescribed templates and branding, write pre- and post-event communications to amplify the messages from the meetings.
- Continuously improve on the team’s existing processes, find more agile ways of working, and share with the team
- Assist the team in transitioning back to hybrid/in-person events.
- Analyze event feedback to be shared with senior staff
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 5 years of related experience in corporate communications or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Able to juggle a diverse roster of projects at the same time, managing these projects from inception through delivery with little oversight
- Ability to anticipate business needs and design events agenda to help drive business goals
- Strong interpersonal communications skills and relationship management experience, able to work productively with internal clients and partners at all levels
- Advanced writing and editing skills; comfortable translating complex concepts such as medical or financial information into clear, jargon-free and succinct copy. Writing samples will be required.
- An undergraduate degree in communications, literature, journalism or related discipline preferred.
At Blue Shield of California we are parents, leader, students, visionaries, heroes, and providers. Everyday we come together striving to fulfill our mission, to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. For more than 80 years, Blue Shield of California has been dedicated to transforming health care by making it more accessible, cost-effective, and customer-centric. We are a not-for-profit, independent member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association with 6,800 employees, more than $20 billion in annual revenue and 4.3 million members. The company has contributed more than $500 million to Blue Shield of California Foundation since 2002 to have a positive impact on California communities. Blue Shield of California is headquartered in Oakland, California with 18 additional locations including Sacramento, Los Angeles, and San Diego. We’re excited to share Blue Shield of California has received awards and recognition for LGBT diversity, quality improvement, most influential women in corporate America, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we’re striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in , Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM
Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we’re going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short.
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes.
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals.
Office Environment – roles involving part to full time schedule in Office Environment. Due to the current public health emergency in California, Blue Shield employees are almost all working remotely. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork – Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of work day.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest records and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability status and any other classification protected by Federal, State and local laws.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
From the earliest days of the pandemic, Blue Shield of California has been unyielding in our commitment to putting the health and safety of our people, our members and our communities first. As a health care company, Blue Shield requires all employees to be up to date with COVID-19 vaccination prior to start date as a condition of employment. Blue Shield will consider requests for medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement prior to your start date.
The definition of “up to date with your COVID-19 vaccine” is when you have received all doses in the primary series and one booster when eligible. If you are unable to be up to date with your COVID-19 vaccine by your start date, your start date will need to be postponed and you will have 30 days to remedy. If you cannot fulfill the requirement nor obtain an accommodation within 30 days, your offer will be rescinded.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-10-25