Movement Politics Director
The Director of Movement Politics is Citizen Action’s chief political and community organizer, setting the overall direction for our organizing department and ensuring that we continue building power to win justice in communities across New York State. This position requires expert-level organizing techniques and demonstrated success in grassroots lobbying.
The candidate must have organizing grit, a bold vision, and be ready to roll up their sleeves and provide leadership to win strategic campaigns that will shape the growth and impact of Citizen Action. Day to day responsibilities include ensuring that Citizen Action achieves its organizing and political goals; supervising, training and directing organizing staff; designing and implementing organizing and political plans throughout the state. Our Director of Movement Politics will be responsible for leading a large team of skilled community organizers, so their ability to communicate and work effectively with both staff and volunteers is critical. The scope of this assignment is statewide, so frequent travel will be necessary.
In order to lead our staff of organizers and work to develop and execute the organization’s strategies to advance a long term vision for justice, the candidate must share a deep commitment to racial and social justice. And ideal candidate will have demonstrated a life-long quest to build progressive power to achieve a vision of justice in local communities and beyond.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Movement Politics will perform a wide range of duties and responsibilities, including:
- Lead a large staff of community organizers, lead organizers and regional directors, including ensuring the development of those staff and working with the team to accomplish goals.
- Promote and build support for Citizen Action’s initiatives through oral and written communication with its members, organizers, influencers, and the public.
- Work cooperatively with other organizations, elected officials, unions, and their political/field representatives to build local and statewide relationships.
- Integrate and promote political education, racial justice, and organizing skills training programs internally and externally.
- Formulate and administer organizing campaigns on multiple issues and for endorsed candidates across the state in collaboration with the Political Director.
- Mentor staff in building political power, train staff in political organizing, fundraising growth, new member organizing and coordination of multiple campaigns.
- Recruit members and allies to run for local office.
- Make strategic assessments about where to use organizing and political resources.
- Work independently exercising judgement within the scope of responsibility.
- Strong experience in staff management and coaching with at least three to five years of experience in supervising and leading a team
- Thorough knowledge of organizing and political campaign strategies, planning and execution.
- Ability to work independently with members and elected leaders in complex political situations.
- Knowledge and experience in cutting and framing winning issue and electoral campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience with managing voter contact and field campaigns.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working with voter files, modeling and targeting, and the Voter Action Network (VAN) desired.
- Strong community outreach, organizing and engagement skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships and to work in a team.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Strong skills in advocacy with elected officials.
- Experience working with labor unions strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage and assess multiple high-priority programs and priorities in different regions of the state.
- Experience managing a program budget and implementing strategic plans.
- Ability to manage and help develop electoral and grassroots campaign plans, logistics and timelines.
- Ability to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with leaders, staff, partners and operate with a high level of judgment and discretion.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-05-01