National Communications Director
At Humanity Forward, we recognize that this political moment represents an unprecedented opportunity to eradicate poverty in America through the bipartisan adoption of a Universal Basic Income (UBI). That is why we are building the first-ever bipartisan federal advocacy organization — to accelerate the passage of UBI during this critical time.
To achieve this mission, Humanity Forward is building on our successes to advance proven, popular, and bipartisan policy ideas — like stimulus checks, a monthly child tax credit, and other forms of direct cash relief. And we’re just getting started.
That is why we are now aggressively scaling our team. We are recruiting and building a diverse team of the best and brightest change-makers across our country. We’re building a team that is sharp, innovative, low-ego, mission-driven, and ready to take on one of the great challenges and opportunities of our time.
The National Communications Director is our public voice in media, digital and press for championing progress in recurring cash payments as part of pandemic relief legislation and in advancing our goal of a universal basic income. The National Communications Director focuses on amplifying this work, gaining more attention and support through all forms of press and media, including in print, online, podcasts or audio only interviews. We want to saturate the national conversation to reach a large and diverse audience. This is ideal for someone with deep experience and relationships with national traditional and nontraditional media outlets. This is a remote full time position, with preference for applicants in the DC metro area.
- Build relationships with the press on the state and national level.
- Communicate with the media as a prominent voice of the organization.
- Set up interviews and identify media opportunities for the organization, staff, volunteers and subject matter experts.
- Research potential press and media contacts.
- Work closely with the communications team to make the most of every opportunity you cultivate.
- Providing guidance on self generated media for volunteers and the social media team.
- Provide guidance on rapid response opportunities for coverage.
- Reporting progress to the Communications Political Political Director on a daily basis and to team leads weekly.
- Maintaining lists and tracking tasks to manage all of your work efficiently.
- Recruiting surrogates and developing good relationships with high potential candidate leads from social media and referrals
- Solid combination of personable outreach and relentless follow up.
- Extensive list of media contacts and skilled in forming and developing relationships.
- Excellent communicator, in writing and in person.
- Ability to work under pressure and in collaboration with others.
- Familiarity with social media, specifically Twitter.
- Comfortable using spreadsheets and the google suite of office applications (gmail, sheets, docs, slides.)
- Experience using Zoom, AirTable, Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, Slides) Slack.
- Experience working with volunteers for research, creative content and outreach.
This is a full time position that works remotely from practically anywhere. Salary, PTO and health benefits are included. Salary range is $85,000 – 150,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Bilingual or multilingual is a bonus but not required. Preference for applicants to have at least two years of press and media related experience with nonprofits, political advocacy organizations or electoral campaigns.
Diversity is our biggest asset and necessary for organizational strength. It is a fundamental policy of Humanity Forward to provide equal opportunity of employment to all applicants, without regard to race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Please submit (1) a resume, (2) a cover letter providing more in-depth information on your academic and professional experience, (3) contact information for at least three academic or professional references via e-mail.
Job posted: 2021-04-14