National Security Policy Analyst
National Journal is a premier research and insights company committed to helping organizations effectively navigate Washington. Best known as one of Washington’s most trusted media brands for nearly 50 years, our expertise is unmatched with teams of specialists dedicated to government affairs, communications, and political research, in addition to exceptional journalism.
The Network Science Initiative (NSI) is a custom research division within National Journal specializing in stakeholder mapping for corporate, association, and nonprofit clients. NSI identifies the people and organizations – from government, industry, think tanks, advocates, and media – with the most influence on key policy decisions, maps their connections within and across their respective communities, and develops tailored messaging and engagement strategies.
We are looking for curious and innovative researchers and consultants interested in learning about the most pressing national security and technology policy issues and the people and organizations shaping policy and procurement decisions.
Position in Brief:
Remote through 2021
National Security Policy Analysts are responsible for contributing to all aspects of NSI client engagements. Analysts on the defense and technology team conduct core qualitative research, create and present client deliverables, manage project timelines and communication, and help develop and refine the product, all with the aim of delivering value to our clients. Analysts work directly with senior leaders at National Journal and leading defense and tech companies. They provide insight into decision-makers across DoD, DHS, and the State Department who are setting national security strategy and shaping critical strategic initiatives in areas including cybersecurity, autonomous systems, and missile defense, among others.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to conduct qualitative analysis of current national security policy issues and execute against tight deadlines to develop professional and intellectually sound deliverables for clients, both independently and in close collaboration with team members.
Core day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Managing research for multiple client accounts and being responsible for the timely delivery of all project work
- Collaborating with team members to develop research methodologies and approaches to answer client questions
- Conducting qualitative research, developing analytical takeaways, and synthesizing findings into strategic recommendations for clients
- Drafting deliverables, including PowerPoint presentations, memos, and other formats, to communicate findings and recommendations to clients
- Presenting findings and interacting with clients to better understand their needs
- Regularly consuming industry and policy-specific news to incorporate current trends into research and analysis
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
- A highly analytic, natural problem solver
- The ability to highlight key insights within a complex set of data, synthesize large amounts of information, and then clearly explain these insights to potential clients
- A skilled project manager, able to independently manage competing priorities and adhere to timelines
- A strong writer able to clearly frame issues for a variety of audiences; some experience with PowerPoint or other visual presentation formats highly preferred
- An individual with 1-3 years of experience in at least one of the following domains: strategy consulting, policy analysis – specific to national security and technology, Capitol Hill, political science research, executive agency policymaking, data science
- Familiarity with the current national security policy landscape or experience analyzing DoD programs and strategies is preferred
- Knowledge of the government acquisition process and procurement lifecycle is a plus but not required
- Earned Bachelor’s degree required
Compensation:The salary range for this role is $50,000-$58,000
Remote Status: Remote through the end of 2021 at which point this job will be based in Washington, DC
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-23