National Security Policy Analyst
National Journal is a premier research and insights company committed to helping organizations effectively navigate Washington. Best known as one of Washington’s most trusted media brands for nearly 50 years, our expertise is unmatched with teams of specialists dedicated to government affairs, communications, and political research, in addition to exceptional journalism. Our mission is to equip the thousands of government and business leaders in the nation’s capital with the intelligence, insights, and connections they need to save time, increase efficiency, and deliver success.
The Network Science Initiative (NSI) is a division of National Journal, an Atlantic Media Company, and we are Washington’s premier public policy stakeholder research and consulting service. Our team of research analysts partner with corporations, associations, government contractors, and nonprofits to identify the individuals and organizations that are most influential on their advocacy priorities and map their networks to recommend targeted engagement and messaging strategies.
We are looking for curious and innovative researchers with a bent for client service to join our defense and technology sector team, working with some of the leading defense contractors, tech companies, and consulting firms to research the people shaping national security and defense programs and policies.
Position in Brief:
Network Science Initiative analysts are responsible for leading all aspects of NSI engagements from project design to research execution to final analysis and presentation to clients. Analysts on the government contracting team conduct open-source research on the networks of influence in defense, foreign policy, and emerging technologies, create and present client deliverables, manage project timelines, and help develop and refine the product. Analysts work directly with senior leaders at National Journal and leading defense and tech companies. They provide insight into decision-makers across DoD, DHS, and the State Department who are setting national security strategy and shaping critical strategic initiatives in areas including artificial intelligence, autonomous systems, and cybersecurity, among others.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to develop innovative approaches to answering client questions by designing creative research models based on available information and crafting clear slide presentations of key insights. NSI analysts develop agile approaches to breaking down complex issue areas and large amounts of qualitative information in order to develop professional and intellectually sound decks and memos on tight timelines.
Attributes Particular to this Position:
- Analytic, “intellectually omnivorous” individual interested in working on today’s most pressing national security challenges
- An interest in and passion for intellectually rigorous work analyzing ongoing and emerging defense and technology programs
- The ability to synthesize and highlight key insights within large amounts of information, and then clearly explain these insights to clients
- A strong writer able to clearly frame issues for a variety of audiences
- A skilled project manager, able to independently manage competing priorities and adhere to timelines
- A confident presenter, able to present key findings to and respond to client questions
- An individual with 1-3 years of experience in at least one of the following domains: policy analysis, data science, political science, consulting, national security research
- Familiarity with the current national security policy landscape or experience analyzing DoD programs and strategies is preferred
- Knowledge of the government acquisition process and procurement lifecycle is a plus but not required
Atlantic Media, Inc. and its affiliates (“Atlantic Media”) are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-17