NECEC Community Relations Manager
Based in Augusta Maine, the NECEC Community Relations Manager is responsible for managing day-to-day public communications in support of the NECEC Project. This person will work with the Project team and internal stakeholders across the company to ensure consistency of message and “one voice” in line with the NECEC Project communications strategy and messaging. Working closely with the President of CMP as well as colleagues in regulatory, government affairs, legal and operations, the person in this role will provide communications support in order to enhance the company’s reputation and its standing with all stakeholders including customers, elected officials and employees in the communities the companies serve. This position reports to the Director of the NECEC Project, and will work with all levels of the corporate and CMP organization as well as with senior Avangrid management on a range of matters involving reputation management.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Scope of work – range of responsibilities):
- Serves as day-to-day NECEC spokesperson, serving as first point of contact for local media that cover the project. This may include on camera interviews with local media.
- Coordinates, preps and staffs interviews for key spokespeople as well as actively pitching stories to the press to gain positive media coverage.
- Manages coordination of incoming press calls, determining response and ensuring timely response.
- Maintains list of local reporters, managing and monitoring interactions with them to ensure a seamless experience with the company and consistency of message.
- Helps develop and disseminate key messaging materials to internal stakeholders to ensure consistency of message.
- Maintains and updates materials that make up a “Media Bureau” resource for NECEC that includes, final communications plans, fact sheets, press releases, messages and statements, updated executive bios and photos, etc.
- Works with the Avangrid Social Media team to develop and optimize content.
- Manages issues affecting the NECEC Project and manages crisis communications, including developing preparations for responding to potential crises.
- Work with senior management on regular, periodic assessments of reputational risks and actions to mitigate those risks, with reporting as part of a company-wide risk assessment and monitoring process.
- Coordinates and manages field project community relations team, dealing with questions from public and local officials.
Education & Experience Required:
- BA/BS degree in business, communications, government/public affairs, public relations, marketing, journalism, or related work experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a communications-related field such as public relations, journalism, marketing or government/public affairs with responsibility for developing and executing strategic communications initiatives.
- Energy industry experience is a plus, but not a necessity.
- Demonstrated success in building brand, image and company reputation through strategic media relations, social media and other communications related to company positioning, strategic initiatives, executive profiles, earnings and other corporate matters.
- Experience in providing decisive recommendations and strategic counsel to Executive Staff Members, Vice Presidents, Business Directors and others.
- Experience creating and editing corporate internal communications, executive messaging, press releases, social media messaging, talking points, speeches, FAQs, etc.
- Strong track record of media relations experience, including providing statements to, and conducting interviews with the media, and preparing senior executives for media interviews and other events.
- Experience developing plans for and managing crisis communications and adept at managing complex and sensitive business issues.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, writing, editing and project management skills, with a proven ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Strong strategic and analytical capability.
- Must be highly adaptable and resilient to change.
- Strong ability to work with senior leaders and manage relations with key internal and external stakeholders on communication opportunities and business issues.
- Ability to multi-task and quickly prioritize projects and work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Self-starter, independent worker, strong team and cross-functional collaborator, motivated individual who is able to effectively direct and manage priorities while meeting deadlines for deliverables.
- Excellent leadership and collaboration skills in effectively managing stakeholders across levels and business functions.
- Ability to travel within the CMP service region, project sites, industry conferences, and other business-related locations. Travel up to 10%.
Avangrid employees may be assigned a system emergency role and in the event of a system emergency, may be required to work outside of their regular schedule/job duties. This is applicable to employees that will work in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New York within AVANGRD Network and Corporate functions. This does not include those that will work for Avangrid Renewables
Job posted: 2021-02-17