New Jersey State Director
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal advocacy organization, is seeking a State Director, New Jersey for the State Affairs department. You will be operating from a home office under the supervision of the Regional Director. You will be responsible for creating, leading, and executing overall strategy to implement the legislative and policy components of the organization’s strategic plan within the state of NJ. You will promote the organization’s policies and strategic plan with lawmakers, allies, stakeholders, and advocates; Develop subject matter expertise on state’s legislative and agency rule-making process; Represent the organization in local and state media, build and maintain relationships with state agencies and public officials.
You will be responsible for:
- In collaboration with programs, developing and implementing a plan to carry out the organization’s policy and legislative goal initiatives in the state of New Jersey;
- Advancing local, state, and federal legislative priorities through direct lobbying, coalition building, grassroots outreach and more. Identifying and securing sponsor(s) for organizational legislative and policy goals, ensuring introduction of legislation, advocating for and managing policy reform through each step of the process;
- Alerting appropriate campaign or program of opportunities to advance or defeat legislation or policy and leading subsequent campaign strategy within the state;
- Recruiting, leading, supporting, and inspiring a robust team of Humane Policy Volunteer Leaders; aligning volunteer efforts with the strategic plan. Building and engaging a diverse coalition of stakeholders, from veterinarians, animal sheltering professionals, environmental and conservation groups to other, in support of the organization’s strategic plan;
- Strengthening enforcement of animal protection laws. In collaboration with organizational experts, providing guidance, training, and support for local investigators and enforcement officials, and providing hands-on assistance when appropriate;
- Seeking out media opportunities to increase public awareness of priority issues. Responding to media requests relating to legislation, cruelty, and other animal protection issues in coordination with the Communications department. Writing op-ed pieces and press releases as necessary, giving media interviews, and maintaining relationships with editorial boards and local media;
- On occasion, working with the Humane Society Legislative Fund (HSLF) to carry out State PAC work or political activity;
- Complying with internal, local, and statewide lobbying regulations, managing the state’s budget, and updating and maintaining social media sites with information regarding organizational priorities and initiatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government/Public Affairs, Communications/Media, or a related field, or equivalent work experience required;
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive work experience in animal protection/advocacy work or other related experience required;
- Legislative/lobbying experience strongly preferred;
- Volunteer management experience preferred;
- Grassroots advocacy and political campaigning experience is a plus;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the various influences in the animal welfare movement;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the legislative and political process, particularly at the state level;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments;
- Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders across diverse political, cultural, socioeconomic spectrums; uphold organizational values related to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- The ability to analyze and manage problems in advancing legislative strategy, and effectively provide solutions;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook); comfortable learning new technological platforms as introduced by the organization;
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence, demonstrated by the delivery of quality and timely outcomes;
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member in a team environment;
- Strong interest in animal protection issues preferred.
This position is based from a home office in New Jersey.
Submit your resume and cover letter as one document.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital or parental status or protected veteran status. EOE
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-11