News Communications Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 4 years of experience in Public Relations communications or journalism
- Experience in public relations, media relations or corporate communications focused on direct engagement with media and journalists
- Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
- PR, public affairs, communications or journalism background.
- Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgement in fast-paced, high-stress environments as well as ability to escalate appropriately.
- Demonstrated creativity in proactive and reactive communications approaches.
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
It’s our job to help educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders and our own employees about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues. You will combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as pitch to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators.
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders and devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists’ interests. You’ll engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers, develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. You are a great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Build campaigns, pitch stories and features, develop proactive and reactive messaging that helps tell our story around products, people, and partnerships. Address issues and manage press inquiries.
- Lead rapid response efforts both reactive and proactive, including compiling opeds, blog posts, social posts, scripts and more.
- Help explain and develop storytelling efforts around Google’s impact on the news industry and ecosystem and work with external partners
- Develop and maintain close, productive relationships with teams across Google, journalists, key partners and influencers in tech, industry, business and mainstream press.
- Work with internal teams and groups focused on news products and news issues.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-04