Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Officer, Foundation & Government Relations
The Foundation and Government Relations Officer is a full-time, creative, and collaborative position at New York Cares, and will support appeal writing and corporate campaigns and manage the organization’s portfolio of foundation and government funders. The successful candidate will have strong copywriting and communication skills and be self-directed and organized.
The Foundation and Government Relations Officer reports to the Director of Development, Institutional Relations.
Scope of Responsibilities
Foundation Grant Management (65%):
- Manage the entire grants program from start to finish including prospect research, scheduling, writing proposals, tracking grant progress and budgets, writing reports, ensuring grant compliance, and stewarding relationships.
- Collaborate with other departments in gathering data and details about current and future programming. Assume lead role in writing, editing, and submitting reports and proposals.
- Build and maintain relationships with funders, including in-person meetings and facilitation of site visits.
- Collaborate with the Development Division and organization leadership to develop a strategic, productive approach to grant seeking.
- Work with the Communications Department to publicly acknowledge grants.
Government Grant Management (20%):
- Work with New York Cares’ lobbyist to conduct outreach to local officials to promote programs, initiatives, and engagement.
- Manage proposal submission, invoicing, and contracting for all public funds.
- Maintain New York Cares’ compliance with federal, state, and city agencies, including reporting and vault maintenance.
- Research, apply for, and maintain federal, state, and local government grants, and support all grant management activities related to those grants.
Contribute to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Initiatives (10%):
- In partnership with the Director, advance equitable fundraising, and funding practices by educating institutional supporters.
- Actively foster a community that is welcoming and accessible to everyone.
- Support Development Division on special projects as needed and available, including but not limited to special events, corporate service staffing, and division operations.
- Assist Finance team in grant tracking, compliance, and invoicing.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. It is meant to describe the essential duties and the range of responsibilities for the Foundation and Government Relations Officer role. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
The successful Foundation and Government Relations Officer will:
- 2-3 years’ experience in fundraising, marketing and communications, or sales.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Independent worker with strong problem-solving skills.
- Extremely organized and flexible, able to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in Salesforce or other donor database software preferred.
- Experience in MailChimp and/or Apollo a plus.
Starting salary range in mid 50’s. Salary is just one component of New York Cares’ total compensation package. We offer generous paid leave including a winter holiday break, self-care days, and summer Fridays; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; access to thousands of e-learning courses; tax advantage accounts including a 403b Thrift Plan, FSA and much more.
Apply via Indeed: Foundation & Government Relations Officer.(link is external)
About the Institutional Relations Department
New York Cares’ 8-person Institutional Relations Department raises $5mm+ annually from a diverse portfolio of institutional funders. The Foundation and Government Relations Officer will work with the Corporate Relations team whose combined goal is to raise $4mm+ from corporations. This creative and dynamic team always strives to come up with innovative ways to engage corporations in our work and invest in our programs, strategies, and visions.
Job posted: 2022-07-09