Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Officer, International Engagement And Advance, Public Affairs
The International Engagement Officer manages planning, coordinating, and evaluating international and domestic program visits for the United Nations Foundation/Better World Fund campaigns and teams with oversight from the Director of Events, Public Affairs.
The International Engagement and Advance Officer reports to the Director of Events and is a member of the Public Affairs team. The Officer coordinates activities with the Director of Events and across the Foundation’s programs, campaigns, partnerships, advocacy, and public affairs divisions.
This position can be based in Washington D.C. or New York, New York.
Pre-trip Planning and Logistics
- Serve as a central Foundation-wide project manager from pre-planning through execution and follow up to support up to 4-8 short-term (5-10 day) international and domestic program visits with a wide array of objectives, outcomes, and participants
- Work across United Nations Foundation/Better World Fund teams to design trip objectives, budget, deliverables, and monitoring and evaluation plan
- Serve as liaison with other internal teams as appropriate in planning, execution, and follow up from trip. Manage approved trip activities, including maintaining work plans and budgets, which may include inside and outside resources such as consultants and vendors
- Work with lead planning team to design itineraries for trips, liaising with in-country and global partners as needed
- Research and coordinate international venues, hotels, transportation services and other logistical elements that meet guidelines and are within budget
- Develop and manage inclusive post-trip follow up plans, including appropriate outreach back to participants and international partners (including UN agencies) and timely execution of trip deliverables (such as videos and photography)
- Develop trip briefing materials and manage communications with internal and external stakeholders prior to and during the trip
- Substantial travel to developing countries
- International logistical and participant management and support to ensure the coordination of day-to-day trip activities
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Partner with staff members to create standard operating processes (SOPs) and tools to measure and evaluate program visits
- Monitor and report achievement of targets set in trip plans, reporting progress and any delays or barriers to senior leadership
Relationship Management and Public Affairs Support
- Represent and communicate the foundation’s work to internal and external audiences
- Communicate and coordinate across internal teams, including programs, campaigns, partnerships, advocacy and public affairs divisions, and external partners to ensure the trip is planned, executed, and reported on effectively
- Conduct training and briefings on travel and SOP updates as needed
- Support the United Nations Foundation Events team on an as needed basis based on events volume throughout the year
- Other duties and tasks as may be assigned and/or requested
- Bachelor’s degree required; international or policy-focus preferred
- At least 5 years of related work/field experience
- Previous experience with travel required; experience managing high-level international trips preferred
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and ability to excel in meeting competing deadlines with high degree of attention to detail and quality
- Demonstrated adaptability and resiliency in difficult circumstances, ability to troubleshoot effectively, and develop quick solutions with professionalism
- English fluency required, additional language proficiency in Spanish or French preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff, consultants, and trip participants
- Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally at least 30% of the time
- This position is based in Washington D.C.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job posted: 2022-01-10