Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Officer, Policy, Global Health Advocacy
For 15 years, the Better World Campaign has been working with its sister organization (the United Nations Foundation) to strengthen U.S. leadership in global health. As a complement to our campaigns an initiatives, we have educated policymakers in Congress and the Administration on value of immunization (Shot@Life campaign), malaria (United to Beat Malaria campaign), and sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice (through the Universal Access Project), as well as productive U.S.-UN partnerships on global health.
As part of an existing team with a strong track-record of success, the Policy Officer will deepen BWC’s and UNF’s U.S. advocacy work by developing a core set of policy positions to promote with key policymakers in Washington. More specifically, the Policy Officer will assist with researching and developing written and web-based materials monitoring and analyzing ways in which the US government, principally via the Executive Branch, can strengthen its investments and programs to enhance multi-use benefit toward shared policy and program goals on areas like primary healthcare, health workforce strengthening, infectious diseases and pandemic preparedness and response. The Policy Officer will be responsible for developing relationships with relevant U.S. Administration officials in partnership with the wider Global Health Advocacy team. In addition, the Policy Officer will work with the wider Global Health Advocacy team to help monitor relevant legislation on Capitol Hill and policy initiatives from the Administration.
The Policy Officer will work closely with the Executive Director of UN Foundation Advocacy, as a part of the UNF global health advocacy team, and seek advice and synergy with the UNF global health team, including the Vice President for Global Health Strategy. The Officer will be responsible for monitoring performance against established goals, and ensuring day-to-day functions are in line with strategic planning.
The Policy Officer, Global Health Security is a member of the Better World Campaign. They will report to the Executive Director of UN Foundation Advocacy and works closely with the Vice President for Global Health Strategy and their teams.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. (Hybrid schedule)
- Executes Executive Branch engagement strategy, formed in consultation with the Executive Director of UN Foundation Advocacy, Directors of Global Health Advocacy, and the Vice President for Global Health Strategy
- Assists in project management to ensure annual goals are met
- Supports the existing engagement of the wider Global Health Advocacy team with Members of Congress and their staffs on primary healthcare, health workforce strengthening, infectious disease, and pandemic preparedness legislation
- Works with Directors of Global Health Advocacy to support planning capacity of all international and domestic Staff Delegation trips pertaining to global health
- Research and prepare policy memos analyzing relevant and select U.S. government global health efforts and develop recommendations on how the UN Foundation global health campaigns could integrate these policies into their advocacy strategies
- Monitors civil society community activities, with the relevant staff lead, specifically at the Global Health Council’s Global Health Security Roundtable, Multilateral Engagement Roundtable, and the Pandemic Action Network’s meetings.
- Works closely with the entire BWC team to assist on other UNF advocacy projects on global health/advocacy teams
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree or the equivalent advanced degree preferred, in the fields of political science, international affairs, or global health
- At least 5 years of experience in the Executive Branch, on Capitol Hill, and/or in a DC-based legislative affairs office
- Experience representing the organization to outside audiences required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Previous experience developing written policy materials (analyses, reports, talking points, etc.)
- Ability to develop, maintain, and enjoy effective working relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations and with a wide variety of functional expertise
- Ability to drive projects from inception to implementation
- Proven ability to work across departments to accomplish the mission
- Flexibility and a team player
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 10%
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
Job posted: 2023-09-15