Online Advocacy Director
ABOUT PUBLIC CITIZEN
Public Citizen is a national progressive advocacy organization that has been standing up to corporate power and holding government accountable to the public interest for 49 years.
Corporations have their lobbyists in D.C., but the people need advocates too. Founded in 1971 to advance health, safety, justice and democracy, we use all available advocacy tools – including research, grassroots mobilization and advocacy, lobbying, litigation, administrative petitioning and strategic communications – to ensure that all citizens are represented in the halls of power.
The folks who work here bring a lot of drive and passion to their work. We’re often the underdog, but we don’t shy away from taking on tough campaigns against powerful corporate actors. And long odds haven’t stopped us from successfully challenging the abusive practices of powerful industries, such as the pharmaceutical, nuclear and automobile industries, and many others.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you an excellent writer and quick, careful copyeditor who takes pride in crafting clear and compelling advocacy emails? Do you have a head for numbers that allows you to take a metric-driven approach to innovating and hitting performance goals? Are you an accountable self-starter who knows how to take initiative without sacrificing buy-in? Do you have a passion for serving the public interest and want to work for an organization that’s leading the charge to counteract corporate power? Then read on!
We are seeking a senior-level person to serve as our Online Advocacy Director.
This role will involve conceiving and executing great online advocacy campaigns. The Online Advocacy Director will work with advocacy teams throughout the organization to develop big and small email campaigns; draft and format email action alerts; manage the list (oversee list growth, list health, metrics, and segmentation); and promote both innovation and the adoption of best practices in our email campaigning.
● In collaboration with advocacy staff, draft email communications to our supporters, promoting excellence in our digital activism program.
● Work with the advocacy staff, including Public Citizen’s president and executive vice president, to identify creative, strategic and timely ways of tying advocacy emails to news events, and edit all advocacy emails before they go out.
● Load, target and send all advocacy emails.
● Monitor, evaluate and report on the performance of our activism emails, and take action to promote high engagement and ensure good list health and hygiene.
● Develop and execute new and creative list-building approaches, as well as traditional list-building opportunities, such as joint petitions with partner organizations.
● Implement a comprehensive testing program to improve email and landing page performance, based on rigorous A/B testing to optimize all factors of email — content, coding, targeting, etc. — and to continually evaluate assumptions and best practices.
● Monitor trends, best practices and innovations in digital campaigning, with an eye toward improving Public Citizen’s online program.
● Keep abreast of current events, politics and policymaking as they relate to Public Citizen’s advocacy and fundraising campaigns.
● Other duties as assigned.
You could be great for this job if you:
● Have a minimum of 3 years of experience in email advocacy or direct response marketing, including deep experience with CRMs, blast email and digital activism toolsets like Salsa, Action Network, ActionKit, BSD or NationBuilder. 5-7+ year of experience is preferred, and salary is commensurate with experience.
● Write in a clear and compelling way, and can quickly produce clean copy that distills complex ideas into succinct, actionable messages.
● Possess a strategic sense allowing you to identify political opportunities for grassroots and online activists to deliver progressive victories. Possess the ability to articulate the strategic rationale for our actions to diverse audiences.
● Follow current events and politics closely, and either understand the issues we work on or have the capacity to quickly get up to speed on them.
● Can quickly learn how to use new software and technology (you don’t have to be a coder, but you can’t be allergic to technology).
● Have a solid proficiency in HTML and Excel, and know how to use Salsa or a CRM like it.
● Understand email best practices, including those related to format and coding, deliverability and spam, testing and metrics.
● Have strong organizational skills and the ability to handle many competing priorities without letting key tasks slip through the cracks.
● Are comfortable navigating a fast-paced workplace with shifting priorities.
● Have a passion for supporting the public interest and share our concerns about corporate power in government.
Although not required, a strong candidate may have some of the following:
● Experience managing a large digital advocacy list.
● Significant advocacy or policy experience related to one or more issues relevant to Public Citizen’s ongoing campaigns.
● A good grasp on how the media environment, electoral campaigns and legislative maneuvering impact advocacy campaigns.
● Coding skills.
● Demonstrated success in project and team management.
● A sense of humor.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience. The exact salary will be determined using a salary schedule that is part of a collective bargaining agreement. Thus individual salaries will not be subject to negotiation.
● Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children.
● Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days.
● 401K plan with a 5% contribution from Public Citizen after one year of employment.
● 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment.
● Sabbatical after 10 years of employment.
● Student loan reimbursement program.
How to Apply
Please submit your application packet as a single PDF document. Send your application to Sherry Joseph, <email@example.com>.
Your application packet should include:
● Your resume
● A cover letter and/or an action alert where the action is: “Hire me.”
● Optional: A writing sample of up to three pages.
No phone calls please.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Public Citizen employees are proud members of SEIU Local 500.
People of color, women and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-02-06