Online Communications Manager
UltraViolet is hiring an Online Communications Manager to help us create a real cost for sexism in the U.S.
In 2012, UltraViolet was launched to harness the collective power of millions of people to advance women’s equity through rapid-response digital organizing.
Since then, UltraViolet has been the premier national organization elevating all of the issues that impact women’s lives across identity–from intimate partner and state violence to health care to economic policy–to a national audience. Our goal has been to prove that sexism and rape culture exist by using rapid-response campaigns to expose the impact of the problems on women’s lives, create public accountability, and advocate for solutions.
To do that, over the last seven years, we’ve built and are sustaining a community of 1.2 million committed and engaged activists in every state and congressional district across the country and ignited a new wave of feminist activism.
Moving ahead, UltraViolet will focus on building an intersectional feminist community online by creating compelling stories and offering ways to take action that center the voices and perspectives of women of color, Indigenous women, and LGBTQ people. It is these stories–from our members and our staff–that will drive demand for the kind of changes women need.
If fighting for a world beyond patriarchy, where people of all backgrounds and identities thrive with freedom and dignity, is your passion–UltraViolet is the organization for you!
UltraViolet is an organization run by women, immigrants, people of color, Indigenous women, and LGBTQ people. Sexism disparately impacts us, and we strongly encourage people from these and other impacted communities to apply.
UltraViolet is wrapping up a multi-month strategic planning process that is shifting the direction of the organization from a singular focus on large-scale digital organizing to a more specific focus on culture change work and talking to politically unengaged women, in conjunction with running robust digital campaigns on issues that impact the lives of women.
The UltraViolet Online Communications Manager will work with the Senior Online Communications Director to grow the UltraViolet following on social media by curating and creating highly-engaging content through analytics-based experimentation. The Online Communications Manager will be responsible for setting and meeting ambitious growth and engagement goals on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites. In addition, the Online Communications Manager will be responsible for helping maintain the UltraViolet website.
These are the required skills for this position:
- Experience working in intersectional feminist organizing and/or racial justice organizing
- Proven writing ability in a fast-paced setting (you are excited by the idea of having to explain something complex in a tweet)
- Graphic design skills and experience with Photoshop, Canva, or similar design tool
- Experience creating live content, including video
- Experience using a social media management tool such as Hootsuite, Sprout, Later, ActionSprout, CrowdTangle, TweetDeck, etc.
We’re hoping you’ll bring one or two (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Comfortable on camera, as well as behind, and/or narrating live events
- Experience fundraising on social media
- Experience with paid social media campaigns
- Experience reaching out to and engaging influencers
- Basic website skills (HTML or WordPress experience specifically)
You will thrive in this role if you’re someone who:
- Likes the idea of working remotely, since we are an all-remote organization
- Is comfortable juggling multiple tasks and can thrive in a fast-paced environment, independently and as part of a team
- Is an excellent project manager and can manage a project seamlessly from start to finish
- Is able, willing, and excited to turn on a dime when opportunity knocks
Perks of working for UltraViolet:
- Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous coverage for your family
- Four to six weeks of vacation and 12 paid holidays
- 401(k) with a 5% employer contribution
- Sixteen weeks of parental leave, plus support for childcare for work-related events and travel
- A team with a top-notch GIF game and a #pets slack channel, that gets surprise presents (sometimes purple cakes!), and knows how to have fun while getting a lot done in a low-ego environment
The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000, plus a home office stipend based on the cost of living in your location.
UltraViolet is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression of an otherwise qualified individual, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law. UltraViolet hires and promotes individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-26