Operations Manager, Government Relations
The 2 million members united in the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) are at the forefront of a movement to build power for working people and empower all workers to form unions, no matter what job they do. SEIU members are from every walk of life, every political party, every background, every faith. They come from communities with their own stories and strengths, and that makes the Union all the more powerful because there’s strength in numbers. SEIU members work across the healthcare spectrum providing high quality care and services. They are the workers who keep our nation’s airports running and make sure landmark buildings are clean and secure. They provide essential public services and give a foundation of learning to our youngest and brightest. SEIU members believe in and are fighting for a Just Society where all workers are valued and all people respected—no matter where they come from or what color they are; where all families and communities can thrive; and where we leave a better and more equitable world for generations to come.
This position, as a member of the Government Relations Team, is responsible for a broad range of financial and administrative functions in the Government Relations Department, including drafting and monitoring the department’s budget, assuring all staff adheres to SEIU administrative policies and procedures, and the assuring the department is operating at optimal efficiency.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.) Perform a wide range of duties assigned by the International Union, including but not limited to the following:
- Provides high-level, confidential support to the Government Relations Director including managing their calendar, as well as additional Government Relations staff, and provides administrative and logistical support to priority projects of the department.
- Supervises and manages administrative support staff, to include performance management.
- Monitors the budget on a regular basis including reviewing employee generated costs, campaign expenses and reimbursement to locals. Identifies areas to streamline, reduce expenses and implement changes; provides support to Local Unions and Political Division field campaigns on operational needs such as budget, personnel issues, etc.
- Participates in and helps develop budget preparation for Government Relations Department including support to coalitions, and political contributions.
- Coordinates with Government Relations Director and/or Deputy Director, and Human Recourses regarding all staff issues, including hiring, promotions, terminations, sick leave, etc.
- Assists the department in preparing proposals and contracts, agenda items, and supporting information for presentation.
- Plans and coordinates department-wide activities, including meetings and special events.
- Manages facilities and space for the Government Relations Department including distribution of office equipment such as computers, printers, cell phones, etc.
- Handles inquiries, negotiates prices with vendors, and handles all paperwork associated with Government Relations billing, including management of department subscriptions (i.e. Roll Call, CQ).
- Works with relevant staff to develop materials for lobbying and political activity–fact sheets, prescribed status reports, letters to elected officials, Local unions and outside organizations–and relationships to accomplish the political and legislative issues, campaigns, and other tasks as assigned. Sends necessary materials to Legislators, Locals and others to accomplish these tasks.
- Initiates, develops, responds to, prioritizes and completes requests from the SEIU State Council and SEIU Local union staffs for assistance on federal, state and local legislative action based on the International Union’s Issues Priorities.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU staff, affiliate staff, local union officials, SEIU consultants, counterparts at partner organizations, staffs of elected officials, and other coalitions.
DIRECTION AND DECISION MAKING:
This position reports to Government Relations Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree or 3 years of related work experience in budget preparation and monitoring; at least one (1) year of supervisory experience. All applicants must be able to effectively demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to manage, plan, develop, and lead staff.
- Thorough knowledge of administrative and financial operations.
- Thorough knowledge of labor unions and operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of data
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work with large amounts of data, interpret financial records, detect errors and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to work independently and develop and maintain relationships with all levels of staff, both headquarters and field.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office, including software for tracking budgets and disbursements.
- This position requires a high level of judgment, leadership and commitment to the goals of SEIU and its leaders.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to conduct research, collect data and make sound analysis.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of judgment with minimal supervision.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Extended hours and travel required may be required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-01