Operations Manager – Public Affairs
Empowering healthcare starts with you. At McKesson, whether you work in HR or Marketing, Finance or Public Affairs, you’re making a difference. You’ll spark a chain reaction that results in millions of people getting more from their healthcare.
As the nation’s leading healthcare services company, we touch virtually every aspect of healthcare. We empower our customers by delivering vital supplies and solutions. And we empower our employees through a supportive environment where opportunity and responsibility grow. Our exceptional leadership team provides the vision and strategy to advance healthcare, so you can feel confident in our direction and your future. At McKesson, we believe we can empower healthcare. And it all starts with you.
Corporate Public Affairs Department Operations Manager, predominantly providing management and department support to the Senior Vice President Public Affairs. Responsibilities include managing projects, their prioritization and execution metrics relative to other department projects, and necessary coordination with external stakeholders.
Position has high visibility and exposure both within and outside of the company and is critical to the continued enhancement and success of the department. Incumbent must be a strong administrator with keen project management experience and the ability to work independently. Additionally, the person in this role must build, maintain and strategically influence relationships across all areas of the company, with a particular focus on other corporate functions (General Counsel Organization, Finance, Human Resources, Corporate Strategy) and business units and with external law/lobbying firms and corporate executives, senior government officials, trade association executives and vendors. This manager must be on top of all pending projects and priorities throughout the department, be able to extract critical information, exercise steady judgment to respond to crises and demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with internal and external executives, and elected and appointed international, national and state government officials.
Key responsibilities may include (but are not limited to):
- Serves as the Department’s lead on administrative, financial and compliance matters.
- Ensures conformance to financial and operating policies of the company.
- Helps manage SVP’s interactions with Executive Operating Team and other senior business and corporate leaders.
- Provides support to and essentially serves as the SVP’S “right hand”. Responsible for developing and managing processes to anticipate need as well as solicit and manage the deliverables from others, including the preparation of materials, documents, presentations and other information necessary for briefings, presentations, reports and other SVP meetings. Liaison between SVP, Public Affairs, as appropriate, with internal and external partners to independently manage projects, preparation and follow-up.
Oversight and management of department budget:
- Coordinate, develop, and manage budget documents for Public Affairs Department and Political Action Committee cost centers.
- Monitor department plans and anticipated expenses and communicate information regularly with financial manager assigned to GCO.
- Ongoing collaboration with PA team to ensure adherence to budget.
- Recommends and implements strategic improvements in department management and administrative processes to increase efficiencies, reduce cost, and promote more effective utilization of existing resources.
Management and supervision of support staff:
- Oversee the daily duties of the administrative staff; ensure the efficient organization and completion of administrative support work; coordinate and plan the administrative functions for the Public Affairs Department; improve program and service quality by devising new applications and updating/implementing procedures, as appropriate.
- Leverage additional support as needed from the GCO admin pool.
- Provide ongoing coaching and training to promote personal and professional growth opportunities
Departmental project manager for various initiatives, including various federal & state political and lobbying compliance requirements:
- Management of corporate political contribution and lobbying report filings to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with appropriate internal personnel and external legal counsel to review changes in law which may impact filing requirements.
- Management of Ethics Certification Program:
- Responsible for ongoing management, coordination and deployment of company-wide Ethics Certification Program to ensure employee adherence to McKesson’s “No Gifts” policy to government officials
Oversee and conduct government relations and policy research in response to corporate/operating company requests and as needed for SVP and members of the department involving political contributions and initiatives, policy decisions, position statements, legislation and regulation, testimony and government relations/public affairs information.
Assume other project and department management responsibilities as requested by the SVP, Public Affairs, in support of the department’s goals and objectives.
- Typically requires 4+ years of relevant experience.
- 5 or more years’ experience as a Public Affairs professional
- 5+ years of experience providing support to executive leaders within a Public or Government Affairs office
- Strong knowledge of budgeting, planning, and forecasting process
- Familiarity with federal and state compliance management
- Experience with project management
- High Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other web-based applications, including database management expertise
Additional Knowledge & Skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively with individuals at all levels
- Attention to detail; well-organized with ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple projects in the face of often rapidly changing priorities
- Adaptable and flexible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual thinking skills
- High integrity and strong leadership skills; dependable judgment
- Uses discretion and maintains high level of confidentiality
- Healthcare or Pharmaceutical industry experience/knowledge preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree highly desired or equivalent work experience
- General Office Demands
Internal Use Only – P3
McKesson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Qualified applicants will not be disqualified from consideration for employment based upon criminal history.
McKesson is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including job seekers with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to McKessonTalentAquisition@McKesson.com . Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Current employees must apply through the internal career site.
Join us at McKesson!
Job posted: 2020-06-05