Organizer – People’s Agenda Campaign
SUPERVISED BY: Field Director
SUPERVISES: some supervisory responsibility over interns
SALARY/HOURLY, EXEMPT OR NONEXEMPT: Salaried, Exempt, Full-time position
ORGANIZATIONAL SUMMARY: Grassroots Collaborative (501c3) builds power with working families through strategic community-labor organizing, grassroots leadership development, civic engagement, and research. We organize to win progressive policies and systems-change that improve the lives of low-to-moderate income residents and communities of color. We utilize popular education to build consciousness, and build organization that unites residents to create transformative change for a more just society. Our affiliated 501c4, Grassroots Illinois Action, works to build community political power through issue advocacy and electoral strategies.
PROJECT DESCRIPTION: Grassroots Collaborative engages in campaigns to make corporations, big banks, and the rich pay their fair share. Currently, our member organizations are facing the combined threat of public financial crises on three levels – Chicago Public Schools, Chicago, and Illinois. As part of a larger strategy to win revenue for the programs, schools, and services our communities deserve, we have launched the People’s Agenda campaign. Combining legislative, communications and organizing strategies this campaign advances bold demands for major investments in our communities and taxes on the wealthy and large corporations to pay for those investments.
POSITION SUMMARY: We are seeking an experienced community, labor or coalition organizer with campaign experience. The campaign organizer will help develop campaign strategy, coordinate campaign activity among our member organizations, conduct popular education sessions and lead public actions to grow public awareness of our campaign and build pressure on our targets to adopt the People’s Agenda demands. The organizer is responsible for leading a field campaign this summer among members and allies to engage voters to win adoption of recently passed legislation, as well as growing the coalition supporting the People’s Agenda beyond the summer work. This position calls for a person with bold ideas, tactical creativity, and a commitment to developing long-term strategies that generate intermediate wins. We are looking for a strong team player, who can also work independently. The ideal candidate will have an ability to identify strategic opportunities as well as have a deep commitment to movement-building.
- Coalition Building – Identify and recruit new People’s Agenda endorsers. Maintain communication with coalition partners and engage them in digital, legislative and street actions.
- Political Education & Leadership Development– Conduct workshops and presentations that educate our member organizations about the origins of our fiscal crises and prepare members to lead elements of the People’s Agenda campaign.
- Communications – Work with the Communications Director to create and amplify a public narrative about the need to curb the power of the finance sector, and for the wealthy to pay their fair share.
- Direct Action – Develop and execute a variety of member-led actions that move our campaign objectives forward.
- Legislative – Implement grassroots lobbying strategies to educate legislators about the People’s Agenda platform and to move them to support our policy solutions.
- Other roles: Participate in Grassroots Collaborative staff team and other organization-wide meetings and activities. Additional roles and responsibilities as assigned.
- At least 2 years full-time labor, community or constituency organizing experience
- Strong organizational, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to motivate and inspire others
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel to Springfield
- An energetic commitment to social justice and working within an anti-oppression framework
- Experience with corporate campaigns, interest in Wall Street accountability a plus
- Coalition building and coordination skills
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with staff and grassroots leaders
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Proficient in Excel, Powerpoint, Word
- Excellent team player, able to meet deadlines and work independently, innovative, creative
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 40 pounds
- Some travel in the Chicago metro area is required, along with Springfield
- Workplace is a smoke-and drug-free environment
Grassroots Collaborative is an equal-opportunity employer. People of color strongly encouraged to apply. For consideration, send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com. No calls, please. Position open until filled.
Job posted: 2021-02-06