Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is seeking a dedicated and passionate Outreach Coordinator to join our team. The Outreach Coordinator will play a crucial role in advancing the organization’s mission to protect and restore the Potomac River and its watershed by implementing strategic activities and initiatives to build PRKN’s membership, engage members, reach new audiences, expand educational opportunities, and develop diverse partnerships. The ideal candidate will have a strong background and interest in environmental advocacy, community engagement, and effective communication strategies. The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for implementing outreach efforts under the direction of the Riverkeepers and Vice President for Programs. This is a professional position with a salary range of $45,000 to $55,000 and full benefits.
- Campaign Outreach: Work with the Vice President for Programs and the Riverkeepers to develop and implement outreach strategies to engage the public, stakeholders, and decision-makers in support of the organization’s major campaigns and initiatives.
- Legislative Support: Conduct outreach efforts to build support for legislative objectives related to water quality, environmental justice, climate change, and environmental and public health protection.
- Community Engagement: Reach out to communities impacted by water pollution, organize community meetings, workshops, and events to raise awareness, gather input, tell stories, and foster local involvement in the protection of the Potomac River.
- Partnership Development: Collaborate with local organizations, government agencies, businesses, recreational groups, and diverse stakeholders to build partnerships and coalitions that enhance the effectiveness of the organization’s outreach and engagement
- Grassroots Organizing: Mobilize and empower volunteers, activists, community members and supporters to take action through advocacy, education, and community-based initiatives.
- Content Creation: Draft compelling and informative outreach materials for various platforms, including the organization’s website, newsletters, social media, brochures, action alerts, signs, webinars, and other communication channels.
- Tabling and Presentations: Represent the organization at public events, fairs, and conferences through tabling, presentations, and discussions to promote the organization’s mission and engage the public.
- Outreach Events: Plan, coordinate, and execute outreach events such as educational programs, public meetings, listening sessions, and community gatherings to engage a variety of audiences in the pollution issues facing the watershed and encourage the use and enjoyment of the rivers, with a special focus on Black, Indigenous, and People of Color.
- Staff Liaison: Act as the staff liaison to the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) committee, working to ensure that outreach efforts are inclusive and reflective of diverse communities and reduce water pollution to those who are disproportionately impacted.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, communications, public relations, or related field (or equivalent experience).
- Proven volunteer or professional experience in community outreach, grassroots organizing, environmental advocacy, and partnership development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to craft engaging content for different audiences.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, website content management systems, and email marketing tools.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Passion for environmental conservation and a commitment to the mission of the Potomac Riverkeeper Network.
- Fluency in Spanish
- On water skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Basic design experience (Adobe Creative Suite); Basic website design
- A driver’s license and access to a car
Location: The Outreach Coordinator will be based at the Potomac Riverkeeper Network’s main office in Washington, DC, with flexibility for some remote work and occasional travel within the Potomac River watershed. This is a professional position with some weekend and evening hours to attend events.
Application Process: Interested candidates should submit a resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application process will be open until the position is filled.
Join our team and make a lasting impact on the health and sustainability of the Potomac River and its surrounding communities!
Potomac Riverkeeper Network prioritizes an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to engaging the skills and leadership of people of color, LGBTQ persons, and other individuals from diverse backgrounds. People from these and other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2023-09-04