Outreach Field Manager
The American Flood Coalition is a nonpartisan group of more than 250 elected officials, local leaders, military groups, and businesses that have come together to advocate for national solutions to sea level rise and flooding. The Coalition advances resilient solutions that support adaptation and recovery in flood-affected communities and protect our nation’s residents, economy, and military installations. With a uniquely singular focus on flooding and sea level rise, a creative approach to finding solutions, and deep analysis & partnerships which leverage existing efforts, the Coalition seeks to significantly improve how communities around the country adapt to flooding and sea level rise.
The American Flood Coalition is seeking a dynamic coalition builder to establish and oversee a team of field staff and consultants, and to drive state-level relationships and policy development to support our members as they seek to increase urgency and advance solutions to flooding and sea level rise. The Outreach Field Manager will join our growing Outreach Team, which is responsible for engaging with, supporting, expanding, and fortifying Coalition membership at the local and state levels. This position is new to the Coalition, and was created out of necessity to support the rapid expansion of this team and our membership, especially recruitment and engagement efforts aimed at state-level elected leaders. If you want to work alongside immensely passionate and talented people intent on helping flood-affected communities to adapt and thrive, we want to talk to you. This is a full-time position reporting to, and working closely with, our Outreach Director at our headquarters in Washington, DC; however, this role will be remote until we transition back to our office, which is currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Once it is safe to do so, regular travel will be required in this role.
- Establish and lead a field team of state-based leads and consultants, as well as innovative processes and tools to scale the Coalition effectively in new regions
- Champion relationships with state and local leaders such as governors, state legislators, mayors, commissioners, and partner organizations, and synthesize input to inform our strategy
- Drive legislative victories at the state level in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead the development of outreach content and events (e.g. expert roundtables, case studies, guides, and trainings) to support Coalition members in planning and adapting to flooding and sea level rise
- Understand and keep up with the unique political and legislative dynamics of priority regions and states, especially as they relate to flooding and sea level rise
- 8+ years of successful development outcomes (or equivalent combination of education and experience) at a membership organization or with local or state leaders or officials; experience interacting remotely and traveling regularly strongly preferred
- Applied knowledge of state level policy and experience navigating political dynamics at the state level
- Strong track record leading and managing a diverse and geographically distributed team to successfully conceptualize and execute multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to address and communicate about complex issues such as sea level rise, flooding, and resilience in a clear, credible, and compelling manner with a tailored approach to your audience
- Ability to leverage an existing personal or professional network of state, local, or regional contacts with whom the Coalition can engage to advance flooding and sea level rise solutions strongly preferred in areas including, but certainly not limited to, the Southeast, Gulf Coast, Midwest, or Mid-Atlantic
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Highly competitive compensation
- Generous and flexible PTO
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid short-term and long-term disability, as well as basic life insurance and other voluntary benefits
- 401(k) Plan
- Relocation assistance (for candidates currently living outside of the DC metropolitan area)
We also offer:
- Company sponsored outings such as Friday happy hours, breakfast meetings, after-work socials & activities, an annual holiday party, and more
- A modern office with amenities including lots of snacks, business casual dress code, gym access, and a collaborative floor plan with options to suit every workstyle
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Flood Coalition is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates with unique backgrounds and strive to create and maintain an environment that is inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-01-25