Outreach & Visits Manager, Government Affairs & Public Policy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in government or public policy.
- Experience planning/executing events with 50–500 people.
- Good understanding of tech policy issues.
- Experience working working in the protocol office of an elected official, government agency, or political campaign.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to condense complex written materials into concise talking points.
- Ability to identify opportunities and areas for improvement, and to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple teams simultaneously.
- Proven ability to excel in a fast paced environment, as well as strategic and analytical skills.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual excellence with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
In this role you will be the face of Google to policymakers and influential thought leaders that come visit our campuses, and help handle executive visits to the Bay Area region. You will need to have a deep understanding of public policy issues, know how to navigate bureaucracies and understand protocol, have a high degree of professionalism, and a knack for building relationships. The role requires attention to detail, a proactive mindset, a get-things-done attitude, and the ability to communicate effectively across teams and with people from around the world. You have a long-standing interest in policy issues that matter to Google, such as privacy, content regulation, access to information, and emerging technologies.
As a member of the Strategic Outreach & Visits team within Government Affairs & Public Policy, you will help drive engagement between government stakeholders and Google executives on a wide range of public policy issues and topics. You will work across regions, product areas and functions to ensure succinct and relevant messaging, as well as prepare and brief senior executives ahead of engagements.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Plan and execute strategic engagements between Google executives and government officials
- Play a key role in coordinating, composing, consolidating and editing written materials, such as briefing documents, letters, and talking points
- Develop cross-functional partnerships and relationships with executives’ teams to create meaningful agendas for executive engagements and ensure the appropriate internal participants are included
- Support externally facing strategic outreach efforts, such as campaigns, in-region executive visits, and roadshows
- Update and track projects and key metrics as well as contribute to development of outreach strategy
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-19