PAC & Grassroots Manager
About the Position
Do you have a passion for the outdoors? Do you want to help ensure the growth and success of the outdoor industry? Are you a political junkie with experience in fundraising? If so, Outdoor Industry Association (OIA) is looking for a Political Action Committee (PAC) and Grassroots Manager for our government affairs team.
The person in this role is responsible for maintaining, improving and growing OIA’s Political Action Committee and Grassroots programs by increasing political education and engagement of OIA members and the broader outdoor industry.
Based in Boulder, Colorado, with an office in Washington, D.C., Outdoor Industry Association is the leading trade association for the outdoor industry and the title sponsor of Outdoor Retailer. OIA unites and serves over 1,300 manufacturer, supplier, sales representative and retailer members through its focus on trade and recreation policy, sustainable business innovation and outdoor participation.
PRIMARY PAC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- General PAC management:
- Manage the PAC and organize the industry’s political activities to align with member goals; foster member engagement in advocacy.
- Identify candidates and races for PAC support in coordination with OIA’s government affairs team
- Build and maintain relationships with key congressional members, staff and fundraisers for House, Senate and congressional leadership
- Serve as liaison to the PAC Advisory Council
- Fundraising events and communication:
- Develop solicitation plans and materials to execute fundraising
- Support the PAC through fundraising and attendance at political events
- Coordinate with member companies, consultants, as well as associations, non-member companies and other allies on fundraising events and candidate meet-and-greets
- Plan and execute industry-wide promotions and fundraising events
- Manage political event calendar, both in D.C. and in congressional districts
- Set up industry-wide fundraising events for congressional candidates
- Ensure compliance with all PAC activities
- Prepare company Federal Election Commission (FEC) filings for review and submission
- Work with outside PAC legal firm(s) to ensure full compliance with all regulatory and audit requirements, particularly those of the FEC
- Oversee reporting obligations to ensure compliance with applicable federal laws and timely filing with election authorities of all required reports
- Administrative duties:
- Planning and execution of regular PAC Executive Committee meetings and annual PAC Board meetings
- Develop and manage donor reports and communications, including thank-you notes, solicitations, promotional communications and quarterly newsletter.
- Create PAC promotional materials and presentations
- Budgetary responsibility:
- Manage all financial aspects of the PAC, including preparing financial reports and other relevant information
- Develop PAC budgets and track PAC spending
- Maintain fundraising database
- Oversee all recordkeeping for PAC; process PAC receipts and disbursements; record and verify contributions; prepare and submit disbursement requests for campaign committees
- Other duties:
- Assist in various government affairs departmental activities as needed.
- Work with the government affairs team to develop annual PAC contribution budget and candidate selection process by researching information on candidates, their races and opponents and other relevant information to allow the PAC Board to make sound decisions; identify candidates and races for PAC support in coordination with legislative and political strategies
PRIMARY GRASSROOTS RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and maintain a grassroots/grass-tops program to increase political education and engagement of OIA members and the outdoor industry
- Draft communications to advocates, including newsletters and action alerts
- Manage the planning process for OIA’s annual Capitol Hill fly-in event
- Manage planning and execution of congressional roundtables with OIA members around the country
- Support the OIA Government Affairs Department’s needs regarding communication, events and other initiatives
REQUIREMENTS and REQUESTED TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications or in an applicable/related field
- Three to five years’ prior work experience in PAC management and fundraising
- Ability to work independently and with good judgement
- Experience running grassroots efforts
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Pardot platforms
- Teamwork: Demonstrating and promoting a spirit of cooperation within and outside the work unit; working together toward a common goal; building good relationships with internal and outside work units; building good relationships with internal and external contacts
- Initiative: Recognizing the need for action; confronting issues and taking appropriate action; pursuing an issue until the problem is solved
- Problem Solving: Identifying problems affecting the work unit or OIA; taking early corrective action to avoid problems; generating new ideas and practical solutions
- Approximately 20 percent of time, for domestic travel
About Outdoor Industry Association
Based in Boulder, Colorado, with an office in Washington, D.C., Outdoor Industry Association is the leading trade association for the outdoor industry and the title sponsor of Outdoor Retailer. OIA unites and serves over 1,300 manufacturer, supplier, sales representative and retailer members through its focus on trade and recreation policy, sustainable business innovation and outdoor participation. OIA is a 501(c)6 nonprofit trade association. OIA also established and sponsors the Outdoor Foundation, a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission centered on engaging American youth in active, outdoor lifestyles and nature-based education and activities.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of the email should read “PAC & Grassroots Manager.”
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Outdoor Industry Association is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes qualified applicants without regard to age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law.
Job posted: 2019-07-10