PAC Manager w/ Lobbying
This is a great opportunity to join a leading trade association and manage a political action committee, and use your ideas, planning, and communication skills to advocate for a major industry.
American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA) is looking for a collaborative, results and detail oriented professional to join its team. In this role you will manage the PAC and organize the industry’s political activities aligned with member goals. In addition, you will manage a portfolio of federal legislative initiatives for the association, which may initially include: chemical regulations, agriculture and water regulations.
If selected, we believe you will find your employment with AF&PA enjoyable and rewarding. You will be encouraged to actively participation in our Association’s activities and contribute your thoughts and ideas to improve the efficiency, growth, and overall effectiveness of our endeavors and service to our members.
AF&PA member companies make products essential for everyday life from renewable and recyclable resources and are committed to continuous improvement through the industry’s sustainability initiative. The selected person will help advance a sustainable U.S. pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and wood products manufacturing industry through fact-based public policy and marketplace advocacy.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
PAC (expected to consume approx. 70-80% of time)
- Identify candidates and races for PAC support in coordination with AF&PA’s legislative and political strategies
- Develop PAC budgets and track spending
- Identify fundraising events for lobbyists to attend and provide background materials
- Coordinate with member companies, consultants, as well as associations, non-member companies, and other allies on fundraising events and candidate meet and greets
- Set up industry-wide fundraising events for congressional candidates
- Build and maintain relationships with key congressional members, staff and fundraisers
- Develop solicitation plans and material to execute fundraising
- Prepare reports and supporting documentation for the consideration and approval of PAC Co-chairs, the Board of Directors, and the Government Affairs Resource Committee.
- Manage consultant administration of PAC database and outside vendor relationships
Lobbying (expected to consume approx. 20-30% of time)
- Coordinate the development and implementation of advocacy strategies to achieve industry policy positions
- Work to ensure AF&PA legislative goals are coordinated with other AF&PA departments and related industry groups, including coalition engagement
- Write letters, testimony and various association member communications
- Serve on internal issue teams; manage, plan, and run meetings on relevant issue topics affecting the association
- Develop educational opportunities for federal legislators and their staff that serve to highlight the industry accomplishments
- Represent AF&PA to outside audiences, organizations and strategic alliances, through various means including public speaking and attendance at political events
- Maintain relationships and coordinate with outside interest groups in coalitions on shared federal legislative goals
- Knowledge of the federal legislative process required
- Excellent communication skills in writing, editing and public presentation
- Strong organizational and project management skills to effectively balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong critical thinking, analytical and research skills
- Ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines
- Ability to develop, analyze and evaluate statistical data
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion with initiative, and limited supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and exercise discretion in sensitive AF&PA matters and on policy and market issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to maintain positive rapport with co-workers
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge of FEC requirements and the federal legislative process
- College degree in one of the social sciences
- Five or more years of experience in one or more of the following fields: Capitol Hill legislative staff, public relations firm, government affairs office for trade association, lobbying firm, policy staff/political campaigns
- PAC and Grassroots experience preferred
AF&PA offers a substantial benefits package, including a significant amount of paid time off, three CareFirst medical plan options, a generous 401k plan, dental and vision insurance, FSA and HSA plans, disability insurance, pre-tax parking and metro, and more.
This position will be based at the AF&PA office at 1101 K Street, NW, Washington DC 20005. It is just a few blocks from Metro Center and the McPherson Square Metro Station.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
American Forest and Paper Association is an active Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V. AF&PA welcomes men and women regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, disability, veteran status or other category protected by law.
Job posted: 2019-03-30