Public Affairs Associate
About the Council: The Public Affairs Council is the leading international association for public affairs professionals. We are both nonpartisan and nonpolitical. Our mission is to advance the field of public affairs and to provide members with the executive education and expertise they need to succeed while maintaining the highest ethical standards. The Council’s staff and members have direct experience in corporate and association public affairs management, lobbying, digital advocacy, global public affairs, corporate responsibility, PACs and campaign finance, crisis communication and a host of related functions. From Fortune 100 companies to nonprofits, the Council boasts a diverse membership that includes more than 700 leading corporations, nonprofits, associations, consultancies and universities.
About the position:
We are looking for a public affairs professional to help grow the Public Affairs Council’s CSR and policy communications practice areas. In addition, this individual will provide Council members with customized advice, project manage confidential consulting work, and produce member (and non-member) training events.
- At direction of or in conjunction with the directors of the practice team:
- Respond to member requests for information on practice areas
- Help plan and host workshops, webinars and conferences in each discipline
- Research and recommend event speakers
- Manage communication with event speakers (prep calls, collection of materials, etc.)
- Collect and/or develop new member information resources
- Write newsletters for Networks (sub-groups based on job functions)
- Help draft thought-leadership articles and other collateral material
- Help develop surveys and conduct research
- Provide assistance with consulting projects
- Establish, maintain and grow a community of leading public affairs professionals, and assess the level of expertise of each member
- Once the COVID-19 crisis has abated, represent the Public Affairs Council at industry events; these activities will occur before, during and after regular business hours.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- 1-3 years of experience in public affairs, corporate responsibility, issue-based communication or related areas (including diversity, equity and inclusion training)
- Excellent communication skills as a public speaker (prepared and extemporaneous), a writer and a copy editor.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, balance many projects at one time and meet deadlines and objectives with limited supervision or administrative assistance
- Ability to be successful in a work environment that is team-oriented, customer-focused and non-partisan; also must be comfortable in an environment that encourages open dialogue in both staff and member communications
- Ability to build strong relationships with internal and external individuals and groups
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment and leadership, often without complete information
- Entrepreneurial spirit, creativity, enthusiasm and strong problem-solving skills, with an interest in defining the future of the profession and coaching others to do the same
To apply to this job posting, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2020-10-15