PAC and Policy Manager
The Hardwood Federation
HFPAC and Policy Manager
The Hardwood Federation represents twenty-eight (28) hardwood forest products industry associations and organizations from across the country on policy, legislative and regulatory issues impacting the U.S. hardwood lumber industry.
The U.S. hardwood sector is a fully integrated industry from logging to the manufacture of finished consumer goods including flooring, cabinets, furniture, and moldings. The tissue and paper supplies made of residual chips and dust from our mills and the industrial mats, shipping pallets and railway ties made from hardwood lumber are crucial to shipping U.S. made products to global markets.
The Hardwood industry, along with the rest of the wood products sector, is proud of our environmentally friendly business model. Our raw materials come from sustainably managed forestlands including those owned by the federal government, states, companies, and families. These working forests provide needed income for private landowners, provide employment for the rural workforce and contribute to the local tax base and national economy. When there is a steady demand for fiber and the resulting wood products, hardwood operations ensure that forests will remain as forests in the future and are a key element of a healthy climate.
The HFPAC and Policy Manager will be part of a small team of four full and part-time staff with primary responsibility and oversight of the Hardwood Federation’s Political Action Committee (HFPAC). The successful candidate will also monitor several key policy issues and advocate on behalf of the industry.
Job Title: HFPAC and Policy Manager
Reports To: Hardwood Federation Executive Director
Location: Washington, D.C.
Start Date: TBD
The HFPAC and Policy Manager has primary responsibility for fundraising and management of the Hardwood Federation Political Action Committee (HFPAC). Tracking, advocating for and reporting on key policy issues impacting the U.S. hardwood industry at the federal level are also integral components of this position.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Know and follow federal PAC laws, regulations and rules as related to associations.
- Work closely with HFPAC Board Chair and HF staff to develop PAC related strategies.
- Develop & track annual candidate target list.
- Develop and manage HFPAC fundraising effort.
- Create and update HFPAC materials.
- Coordinate HFPAC reporting & finances with relevant staff.
- Lead quarterly HFPAC calls.
- Present PAC update at board meetings.
- Track key policy issues important to the hardwood industry including environment, transportation, and business climate.
- Develop and recommend policy positions to HF executive director and Boards of Directors.
- Meet with federal legislators, Administration & department officials, and staff.
- Attend legislative hearings related to HF policy priorities.
- Conduct annual policy priorities survey.
- Communicate status & outcomes of HF advocacy to HF Boards and industry members.
- Follow and work with relevant coalitions & associations on common issues.
- Participate in the planning and execution of HF meetings and annual fly-in.
- Coordinate monthly e-newsletter
- Participate in the development and execution of grassroots action strategies, website, and social media
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Experience and understanding of laws, rules and regulations related to association political action committees.
- Experience working with federal elected officials and understanding of government operations.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to work in a bipartisan manner on public policy issues related to the hardwood industry.
- Good organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Willingness to travel domestically.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Two-five years’ experience in a related field.
Please send inquiries and resumes to
Dana Lee Cole
The Hardwood Federation
1101 K Street, NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20005
Job posted: 2021-07-03