Philanthropy & Public Policy Fellowship
The goal of this prestigious fellowship is to engage emerging professionals and future leaders in the
philanthropic sector to learn about the sector’s role in state and federal policy, how to effectively partner
with federal, state, and local government, understand public policy impacts on the charitable sector and
constituents served, and to gain a deeper understanding of philanthropy. This fellowship is a one-year
opportunity for an individual to work closely with the NY Funder Alliance’s Executive Director, policy
partners, and grantmaking organizations in New York to advance policy solutions important to grantmakers
in the state.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The Public Policy Fellow is an integral member of the NY Funders Alliance team and a critical staff member
supporting its public policy work. Exact responsibilities of the fellow will be developed with the person
selected and NY Funders Alliance leadership based on the strengths and interests of the selected candidate
and the organizational priorities of NY Funders and its members during the fellowship period.
Generally, the fellow will:
• Research and write briefings for NY Funders committees, Board of Trustees and members on legislative
and policy issues and on foundation initiatives in select policy areas.
• Take a leadership role in further developing NY Funder’s government relations work, helping coordinate
outreach to federal, state and city leaders.
• Help prepare materials for and attend:
o Federal: Foundations on the Hill, the annual gathering of sector leaders to meet with federal
officials in Washington, DC on issues of concern to the philanthropic community; and
o State: New York legislative and administration meetings in Albany, NY.
• Stay abreast of policy-related news and implications for philanthropy, write policy-related content and
• Research and write white papers and organizational communications on policy related topics at the
nexus of the government, philanthropic and nonprofit sectors.
• Produce content and identify resources for organizational communication vehicles.
• Participate in the implementation of issue-focused programs, including affinity group educational
events, annual meetings of NYS grantmakers and other events as they arise.
• Function as the staff liaison for issue-based affinity groups (examples include, but not limited to: early
childhood, health, education, healthy communities).
o Develop educational programming, collaborative projects and public policy engagement
strategies, in collaboration with organizational and affinity group leadership.
• Engage in program development and activities in support of the growth of philanthropy.
• Manage special projects consistent with the goals of the fellowship.
Fellowship Period, Salary and Benefits:
NY Funders Alliance Philanthropy & Public Policy Fellowship is a one-year full-time commitment, with pay
and benefits. The fellow will receive a full-time, industry standard pay package, paid vacation time and
health benefits. Start date is negotiable and accepting the fellowship will constitute a formal pledge to
remain in the fellowship full-time throughout the entire one-year period. NY Funder’s commitment to
employing the fellow for the entire period is conditional upon satisfactory performance.
• Master’s or Ph.D. completion in public policy, public administration, philanthropy, or a related field
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Experience and a high comfort level serving in an external relations role.
• Strong research skills.
• Skills in public policy, advocacy and presenting information succinctly.
• Strong interest in the field of philanthropy and public policy particularly in NY State.
• Embraces diversity, inclusion, and equity.
• Ability to devote one year to learning and development during the fellowship period.
• Capacity to work independently and in teams, take initiative, meet deadlines, be creative, be flexible
and juggle multiple priorities.
• Good sense of humor.
• Willingness to travel within and outside of the state. A valid NYS driver’s license with necessary
insurance and available transportation is required.
Required Elements of Application:
Applications must include the following:
• Current resume or Curriculum Vitae
• Cover letter that includes a description of the candidate’s current professional and topical interests,
relating how the Fellowship advances the candidate’s career and social change objectives
• Two names and contract information for academic advisors or previous employee supervisors who
would discuss and support the candidate’s application (minimum).
Candidates are encouraged to include:
• A writing sample demonstrating ability to write in a style appropriate to the policy realm (previously
written and less than 7 pages).
Interested candidates should e-mail their entire application as one PDF document to
email@example.com. Please include “Your name – NY Funders Fellowship”in the subject line of the
email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting June 18th. The position will remain open until
filled. NY Funders Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the NY Funders Alliance:
The NY Funders Alliance is a regional philanthropy serving organization that supports the philanthropic
community in our region of New York State. Our primary goals include supporting foundation leaders and
staffs through networking, convening, programming, advocacy and education. Nearly 100 members strong,
NY Funders Alliance is in a strong and unique position to grow philanthropic collaborations across New York
with a Public Policy Fellow!
Job posted: 2021-06-09