The Policy Advisor supports business, public policy, and member engagement activities of MBA’s Commercial/Multifamily (CMF) Group. The incumbent will report directly to the Associate Vice President of CMF Policy and will contribute to the ability of the CMF Group to achieve industry policy objectives, and to have a meaningful impact on policy issues that can substantially affect .
Activities may include identifying, tracking, analyzing, and writing about policy developments affecting MBA members; managing complex regulatory policy-focused projects; communicating orally and in writing to policymakers and to members; and coordinating across MBA and with other trade associations. The Policy Advisor also enhances MBA member engagement by preparing communications to members; identifying policy trends, issues, and concerns of interest to members; and convening members.
Recent, current, and future areas of policy include: federal and state legislative and regulatory policy responses to COVID-19; FHFA regulatory actions, the GSEs, and housing reform; capital standards for life insurance companies, banks, and the GSEs; CMBS; the Volcker Rule; tax policy; accounting treatment of commercial real estate and mortgages; the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act; FHA and HUD multifamily policy; flood insurance; terrorism risk insurance; and affordable housing.
- Works with AVP of CMF Policy on policy matters relevant to MBA’s CMF members to supports CMF policy advocacy objectives. Under supervision of the AVP of CMF Policy, manages multiple complex regulatory policy/advocacy-focused projects.
- Identifies, tracks, analyzes, and writes about policy developments affecting MBA members within zones of responsibility. As assigned or within areas of responsibility, prepares communications to members; identifies policy trends, issues, and concerns of interest to members; and convenes members in standing or ad hoc calls or meetings.
- Within areas of responsibility, advocates and represents MBA and its members by communicating orally and in writing to policymakers, members, other parts of MBA and other trade associations. Promotes member awareness of CMF policy work and activities through dissemination on MBA’s website and other member communication platforms. Coordinates communications with Public Affairs, Legislative & Political Affairs, and other MBA departments. May participate in press interviews in areas of responsibility.
- As assigned or within areas of responsibility, coordinates and executes CMF member policy events. Coordinates across MBA Departments as necessary to ensure the event reaches an appropriate set of members and provides a positive member experience. Memorializes and prepares materials for conferences, councils, committees, working group meetings, and calls. May help identify and recommend members for speaking opportunities on conferences calls, webinars, meetings and conferences.
- Affirmatively advises the CMF senior staff of priorities, deadlines, and meetings, and follows up on necessary details to contribute to overall CMF success across both policy and member engagement. Facilitates exchange of information among CMF staff on common priorities and responsibilities within the group. As assigned or within areas of responsibility, works collaboratively with CMF Group colleagues to coordinate interdepartmental reports or initiatives.
- Responds to inquiries from MBA members, the public and MBA staff as assigned or within areas of responsibility. Drafts replies to correspondence under supervision of AVP or CMF Policy. Exercises judgment in handling or forwarding correspondence to other staff members.
- Participates as a contributing member of the CMF policy team, contributing to the fullest extent of the incumbent’s capability to MBA CMF policy priorities, positions, advocacy strategies, events, and initiatives.
- Develops deep understanding of the CREF industry and its various sectors through on-the-job stretch experiences, MBA educational offerings, other educational and training opportunities, and continual self-study.
- Performs in a collaborative manner to accomplish specific projects or to manage areas of responsibility in accordance with CMF priorities, strategies, and workflow. Understands and complies with MBA’s policies, practices, and operations, and supports a culture of inclusion.
- This position description is illustrative only and should not be construed to contain every function/ responsibility that may be required to be performed by an incumbent in this job. Actual role and level of responsibility will be commensurate with incumbent’s demonstrated ability to fulfill that role or responsibility.
The position requires high levels of analysis, communication, organization, judgment and discretion, clarity of thought, proactivity, appetite for gaining deep knowledge and for growing expertise of the CMF finance industry, and a willingness to operate outside of their current comfort zones in an environment that can change quickly.
The incumbent will be a self-starter, motivated, with strong oral and written communication skills, and comfortable operating independently and as part of a team. The incumbent will also have a demonstrated ability to take ownership over areas of responsibility and for the ultimate success of assigned projects. Self-sufficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Aptify or other member database software preferred.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline combined with a minimum of three to five years of progressive experience required. Incumbent should have knowledge and experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Complex policy and legal matters,
- Commercial real estate finance,
- Trade association practice,
- Regulatory or legislative processes,
- Communicating clearly to a variety of audiences,
- Drafting complex documents on deadline with multiple inputs, and
- Working effectively within and across an organization.
Not a counsel position, but a law degree and practical legal experience is a plus.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-12