As a Policy Advisor, you will manage API’s analysis and advocacy efforts on occupational safety & fire protection issues primarily impacting refining industry and certain overlapping Upstream industry Safety and Fire Protection issues as appropriate. You will need to proactively anticipate issues and support API’s legislative and regulatory efforts by developing consensus positions for proposed legislation, regulations and advocacy of the industry’s positions. You will represent API in meetings with Congressional staff, regulatory agencies and other associations. In addition, you will support the refining process safety program as well as technical, standards and other related topics, as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively lead scientific, technical and administrative aspects of assigned Groups and Task Forces. Identify new or emerging issues and enable the Groups to anticipate, prioritize and respond to issues.Develop consensus among Group members on advocacy position of assigned issues. Manage contracts with selected consultants.
- Identify new or emerging issues in areas of responsibility and manage assigned issues for API. Develop and implement strategies to address key issues and collaborate with API committees, API staff, allied trades, coalitions, and other stakeholders to implement strategies.
- Lead development and coordination of certain safety and fire protection standards as required.
- Lead API staff to attain desired outcomes on refining occupational safety and fire protection.
- Provide creative, timely and credible analyses of proposed standards, regulations, legislation and policies on assigned issues. Analyses include: identifying and prioritizing key issues, analyzing their potential impact to industry, assessing the feasibility of compliance, developing cost-effective, technically defensible alternative proposals and preparing written comments for submission to government agencies.
- Establish and maintain contact with the appropriate government representatives and stakeholders to pursue opportunities to promote the industry’s issues.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to grow/expand the existing safety and fire protection program in alignment with API member’s needs/desires.
- Draft social media content, develop and maintain web content in purview areas in addition to supporting departmental needs in this arena.
- Operates independently with management oversight, elevating issues appropriately with clear recommendations for resolution, both internally and with the membership. Resolves most problems without assistance
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION
- BS degree in science, engineering or BA degree in public policy or related advocacy field with 5+ years experience working with technical and/or safety regulatory/legislative issues, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills are essential. Initiative and ability to work both independently and collegially with others are essential.
- Experience working with/for trade associations, especially achieving membership consensus, managing budgets and contractors is desirable.
- Must have the ability to make effective and succinct presentations to management and the public.
- Must be able to travel at least 20% of time.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-20