Mission of National Skills Coalition
National Skills Coalition (NSC) is broad-based coalition working toward a vision of an America that grows its economy by investing in its people so that every worker and every industry has the skills to compete and prosper. We engage in organizing, advocacy, and communications to advance state and federal policies that support these goals – policies that are based on the on-the-ground expertise of our members.
This position supports NSC’s Government Affairs and federal policy work. The Policy Analyst will collaborate with the Director of Government Affairs, federal and state policy staff, and network organizers to support the advancement of NSC’s skills platform with Congress and the administration and will support the development and advancement of workforce, postsecondary and human services policies.
The Policy Analyst will:
- Provide in-depth policy analysis of new and proposed federal policies to our network, including partners across the country and national organizations/coalition partners
- Develop and collaborate with other NSC to develop policy proposals that support NSC network priorities and expand access to and success in skills programs for all workers
- Monitor Congressional and administrative activity relevant to skills
- Build and maintain relationships with Congressional staff, with a focus on building bipartisan and diverse hill champions for policy that helps workers access and succeed in skills programs that meet business demand
- Communicate NSC policy priorities to members of Congress and the administration
- Prepare members of the NSC network for advocacy with federal policy makers through fly-ins, constituent calls, and in-district events
In performing these duties, the Policy Analyst will assist NSC’s policy team and other NSC staff to provide policy analysis/development, coalition building, strategic communications, network mobilization to practitioners in the field and to communicate the priorities and experiences of our partners to policy makers in D.C.
- Policy Analysis: Analyze state and federal policies, both existing and proposed. Collect, analyze and provide data for use in policy development and advocacy. Develop, write and contribute to a variety of products, including reports, policy briefs, memos and blog posts.
- Policy Development: Develop policy frameworks, legislative and regulatory language proposals and work with state and federal policy staff to align state and federal policy proposals.
- Policymaker Engagement: Advocate for NSC’s policy platform with members of Congress and the administration, build and expand relationships with policy makers.
- Policy Advocacy: Help develop NSC’s federal advocacy strategies, in collaboration with NSC network and communications staff, as well as network members.
Outreach & Communications
Network Development: Represent NSC in external meetings with other national organizations, including coalition meetings, and with NSC members from across the country. Build and maintain relationships with national organizations.
- Member Support: Collaborate with network staff to respond to technical questions regarding specific federal and state policies from NSC members, partners, and funders.
- Public Education: Promote NSC and its agenda to potential allies and the larger public through presentations, press engagement, etc.
COMPENSATION: $70,000 – 75,000. Excellent benefits package, including employer‐paid health and dental, retirement plan, life and disability insurance, and generous vacation policy.
· Knowledge of postsecondary and workforce development policy and policy making
· Written communication (ability to effectively communicate to target audiences)
· Public speaking (ability to effectively engage and communicate with target audiences)
· Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
· Attention to detail
· Ability to independently manage tasks and projects and meet deadlines
· Proactive, problem-solving orientation
· Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
· Effectively uses technology to communicate/collaborate with colleagues and manage work
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-21