ABOUT DC ACTION FOR CHILDREN
We’re shaping fair and equitable public policy so that all of DC’s children and youth grow up safe, resilient, powerful, and heard.
DC Action for Children was founded in 1992 by six women concerned about the deteriorating conditions for children in the city. Together, they established a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization and transformed it into an independent voice for kids, to advance public policies that improve their well-being, especially those most affected by poverty and racism.
DC Action for Children and DC Alliance of Youth Advocates recently merged to form an even stronger, independent voice for children and youth. We convene and lead a citywide coalition of over 130 youth-serving organizations, young people, and concerned residents working to ensure all youth have access to the services, supports and opportunities they need to make the successful transition to adulthood.
With the support of individuals and private foundations, DC Action for Children uses research, data, and a focus on race equity to break down barriers that stand in the way of all kids reaching their full potential. Our collaborative advocacy campaigns empower young people and all residents to raise their voices to create change.
DC Action for Children is seeking a full-time Policy Analyst with a strong commitment to racial equity and improving outcomes for school-age children and youth up to age 24. The Policy Analyst will be a subject-matter expert in expanded learning, child and youth homelessness, youth workforce, and budget and legislative advocacy. The Policy Analyst will conduct research, develop reports, briefings, and presentations for policymakers and diverse audiences. The Policy Analyst reports to the Director of Youth Policy and Programs.
YOUR DAY-TO-DAY ACTIVITIES…
- Support the development of child and youth focused policy, advocacy and budgetary recommendations on key issues through high quality research, analysis and community engagement
- Maintain expertise in several focus areas, including: race equity in policy, expanded learning, homelessness, and youth workforce
- Carry out the advocacy efforts by building relationships with DC government officials, including the executive, legislative branch and agency staff, as well as potential allies within community based organizations
- Analyze DC’s annual budget and report out on investments in expanded learning, homelessness, and youth workforce
- Conduct research, develop reports, briefings, and presentations for diverse audiences
- Inform key stakeholders, public and private sector policymakers, agencies, the media and the public at large on findings, trends and policy implications
- Contribute to funding proposals and reports
- Contribute to DC KIDS COUNT reports, briefs and projects as needed
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS…
- A passion for economic, racial and social justice.
- A degree in psychology, public policy, education, political science, social work or a related field and 5-6 years of policy or advocacy experience
- Prior experience in advocacy, education, youth development, workforce, public health or a related field.
- Prior experience with and knowledge of DC government and local issues relating to children, youth and families.
- A self-starting work style and is self-motivated.
- Excellent communication, writing and verbal skills.
- Exceptional project management skills, strong attention to detail, and highly organized.
- An ability to balance and prioritize multi-level tasks and work as a member of a larger team.
- The ability to work independently, but also able to collaborate and work as part of a team and with diverse partners.
- Demonstrated commitment diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated they can thrive in a small, fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization committed to the well-being of children and youth
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. DC Action for Children offers a generous benefit package, a great team, and a working environment committed to fostering staff growth and leadership.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please complete the Policy Analyst Job Application and upload your resume along with two professional writing samples.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
DC Action for Children recognizes and honors diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, abilities, gender, sexual orientation, and places where people live. We seek to reflect this diversity in all aspects of our work, including the composition of our board, staff, and volunteers. Further, DC Action for Children seeks to be a multicultural and culturally competent organization that works for equity among all people. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from DC Action for Children.
Job posted: 2020-10-05