Policy Analyst, AWS Public Policy
Work hard and make history with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Policy. The Public Policy Counsel/Analyst will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to immediately and directly enhance Amazon’s advocacy on a broad range of public policy issues. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
The Policy Counsel/Analyst will be a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy issues. Working with the Senior Manager, AWS Public Policy – US Federal, and the US Federal AWS Public Policy team, the Policy Analyst will support AWS positions on key issues impacting the AWS business, to include federal IT modernization and acquisition reform, cybersecurity, and political events. The Policy Counsel/Analyst will also be responsible for event planning and execution (with a focus on the legislative branch), review of key legislation and regulations that impact the AWS business, communication with consultants and trade associations, and will represent the company at conferences and meetings.
The Policy Counsel/Analyst will work collaboratively and transparently with business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Policy Counsel/Analyst will assess and communicate potential government activities back to the business and the public policy team, develop mitigation or enhancement strategies and positions, and manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and key initiatives in concert with business objectives.
The position is based in Washington, DC.
Bachelor’s degree required; Juris Doctor or Master’s preferred.
A keen working understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy process and the technology industry. Strong skills in advocacy and using spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform. Strong program management and organizational skills. Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through previous work within companies, consultancies, trade associations, the government, or equivalent organizations. Some travel may be required.
Focus and Deliverables:
· Work collaboratively and transparently within in the Americas Public Policy team and with the Legal and Security Assurance teams to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure policymaker awareness of AWS’s business model. Effect change and drive policymaking that benefits our customers. Manage and coordinate external advocacy efforts, outreach programs, and initiatives in concert with business objectives.
· Conduct research on key policy issues to support US Federal AWS policy priorities, to include US federal procurement and acquisition policies and regulations, cybersecurity, and data protection issues.
· Manage and analyze federal legislation and regulations that impact the AWS business.
· Develop and manage the implementation of a legislative events strategy designed to educate policy makers and decision makers on AWS capabilities.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels. Ability to create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging, and able to persuasively deliver it to relevant audiences. Ability to deliver a point intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way
· Possesses excellent research skills- both legal, regulatory, and policy oriented-with the ability to discern factual, factually-relevant, and persuasive details and sources to bolster key arguments and drive positioning.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspect pertaining to corporate operation in legislative and regulatory proposal, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers. Think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
· Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others. Flexible and able to demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen. Exhibits agility and confidence in evolving situations and is able to swiftly transition from topic to topic. Able to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
· Can manage a diverse workload, while supporting a fast paced and highly effective team of individuals in driving objectives.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires great people. Develops great people.
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Is action and results oriented
· Is highly analytical and structured
· Has the ability to inspire passion in others
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-20