Policy Analyst – Economics, Finance, and Power Markets
ClearPath’s mission is to develop and advance policies that accelerate breakthrough innovations that reduce emissions in the energy and industrial sectors. To advance that mission, we develop cutting-edge policy and messaging, educate policymakers, and collaborate with academics and industry. Started in 2014 by entrepreneur Jay Faison, ClearPath engages in the direct education of policy makers within the White House, Congress, Executive Agencies, and regulators like the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
ClearPath team members believe in small government, free markets, and American entrepreneurship. Those principles form the basis for how the team analyzes proposed clean energy and climate policy.
The Policy Analyst will join ClearPath’s policy team, a group responsible for crafting organizational positions and recommendations across a diverse set of clean energy technologies. This role will lead ClearPath’s power markets work while supporting ClearPath’s clean energy and finance work, including tax policy. The analyst will also support ClearPath’s Senior Research Director on energy systems analysis, which includes an annual publication on economical pathways to deep decarbonization of the U.S. power sector, as well as modeling and analysis on next-generation energy technologies. The team member will analyze power market, regulatory, and legislative issues, assess clean energy technologies/projects, foster external relationships, and publish articles and policy briefs.
Public Policy Research, Strategic Thinking, and Advising (50%)
- Execute research and analysis activities to identify needs and develop legislative approaches to address them;
- Provide insights and quality written products pertaining to ongoing legislative, regulatory, and policy activities across the federal government, with a specific focus on the FERC and the tax-writing committees (Senate Finance and House Ways and Means);
- Develop high-level, quick, and in-depth analysis of policy and industry trends; and
- Publish external “thought leadership”pieces (i.e. blogs, white papers, journal articles)
Energy Systems Modeling (30%):
- Support Annual Decarbonization Analysis
- Supporting the design and execution of power systems modeling
- Conduct technology evaluation
Networking & Relationship Building (20%):
- Engage with stakeholders on power market issues, e.g. the Department of Energy, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, relevant Congressional Committees, and industry groups.
- Work with associated universities and energy modeling firms to deliver high-impact energy and climate insights
- Communicate complex ideas clearly, simply and convincingly, internally and externally to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Cultivate collaborative relationships with key stakeholders; s/he will represent ClearParth in a credible manner and with ease.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, computer science, economics or a related field (environmental science, public administration, political science etc.);
- 2-5 years of experience in a related field (energy systems modeling, energy finance, energy project development, government affairs, or regulatory analysis) is preferred;
- Ability to conduct or willingness to learn techno-economic analyses and financial analysis of energy projects, as well as coding in Python and Julia;
- A professional and personal commitment to ClearPath’s mission and values; and
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Abstract Reasoning Ability: Potential to solve problems and understand the logical relationships among concepts;
- Idea Orientation: Preference for thinking creatively and generating new ways to solve problems.
- Flexible: Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with often overlapping deadlines.
- Self-structure: preference for independently determining work methods.
- Thoroughness: Tendency to pay attention to detail.
- Accommodation: Desire to help others.
- Teamwork: Be fun, fast, collaborative, and supportive.
- Dedication: Be here because you want to change the world.
- Ownership: Think and act like an owner.
- Adaptability: Be humble and agile.
- Integrity: Believe individual and organizational credibility is everything.
- Curiosity: Voracious learner eager to engage with the substantive details of our work.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Annual bonus
- Paid professional development opportunities
- Comprehensive health, dental, life, disability insurance and 401(k)
- No vacation policy – take what you need whenever workflow allows
- Fully stocked office kitchen in newly renovated building on Capitol Hill
Please send resume and writing samples to Andrea Steiner at firstname.lastname@example.org
At ClearPath, we value a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe our team is the key to making an impact and fulfilling our mission. ClearPath is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job posted: 2021-07-05