Policy Analyst (Full-Time)
The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) seeks a strategic problem solver and community advocate who enjoys researching and analyzing policy solutions that get us closer to the world we want. The Policy Analyst will join us a full-time member of our Advocacy Team and report to our Legislative Director who manages our local and state level policy change agenda with an emphasis on criminal legal and voting rights reform. The Analyst will provide detailed research and analysis for current and prospective advocacy priorities and work with our Advocacy and Legal Team to draft legislation, develop policy positions, and track our work. The ideal candidate is a clear and concise writer, synthesizer, and presenter of information who has the capacity to engage a variety of audiences and has experience explaining complex issues in simple terms. They believe that those who are closest to the problem are closest to the solution. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. We are also committed to pursuing impactful policy changes at the local and statewide level that work to achieve racial equity and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights for everyone. The ACLU-VA is committed to ending racist policing, cutting the number of people who are incarcerated in Virginia, increasing access to quality mental and medical care, ending sex and gender based discrimination at work and in schools, and securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Helping to develop and implement ACLU-VA’s legislative agenda and advocacy priorities, including but not limited to lobbying local government officials, members of the legislature, their staff and the Governor’s office, analyzing and tracking legislation, drafting legislation or amendments and preparing and delivering written and oral testimony.
- Conducting rigorous policy research and fact finding that will help to develop mission aligned policy solutions.
- Drafting clear and concise policy memos on a range of civil liberties and civil rights issues that will enable strategic legislative drafting and policy recommendations.
- Supporting organizational spokespeople in providing expertise to policymakers, the press, and coalition partners.
- Building and maintaining trusted, respectful relationships with community members, partners, local coalitions, elected officials, and other decision makers that share our strategic priorities to support our organizational goals
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Experience researching, collecting, and synthesizing large amounts of information from a range of sources and providing recommendations on next steps.
- Proven ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively, especially explaining complex issues in simple terms.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines on a tight timeline while maintaining a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain genuine and strong relationships with marginalized communities and/or people who have been systems impacted.
- Ability to communicate effectively with large and small audiences, in meetings, and in one on one conversations.
- Ability to be resilient – understanding that working towards systemic change is a marathon and not a sprint.
- Ability to think critically and strategically about solving problems and coming up with solutions that will drive results.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $58,000 to 78,000. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits including generous paid time off, paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization has committed to a flexible and remote work environment until at least January 2021. However, this role will typically work from our downtown Richmond, VA office with standard Mon-Fri business hours and occasional travel throughout Virginia.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Jenny Glass, Director of Advocacy, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy Analyst” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed October 19th and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.
Job posted: 2020-10-08