Policy Analyst/Outreach Associate
OpenSky Policy Institute seeks to hire a Policy Analyst/Outreach Associate to help lead OpenSky’s work on food security issues and make contributions to our broader work on state budget policy. The successful candidate’s primary responsibilities will be to help OpenSky advance policy solutions to improve health outcomes for Nebraskans, with a primary focus on improving food security, by conducting analysis and working with individuals and organizations throughout the state.
About OpenSky Policy Institute
Our Mission: To improve opportunities for every Nebraskan by providing impartial and precise research, analysis, education and leadership.
We are a nonprofit and nonpartisan think tank that provides independent research and analysis of state fiscal and economic policy issues in Nebraska. By examining the most pressing budget and policy issues and making them accessible and more understandable, we aim to broaden participation in state policy debates and help foster outcomes that improve opportunities for all Nebraskans. At OpenSky, we embrace an “all hands on deck” work environment where collaboration is not just encouraged but is critical to our success.
How This Position Advances the Organization’s Work
This is a new position that will help OpenSky engage more directly with individuals, organizations and the legislature to improve health outcomes. The Associate will be a valued member of OpenSky’s team with responsibility to help develop new relationships in the community, author innovative policy reports, make the case for solutions, and engage with policy makers. OpenSky is committed to advancing equity and inclusion and seeks to create an environment and culture that embraces employee differences.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
The responsibilities of the position include researching and preparing clearly written reports on various policy issues; collecting and updating data; researching and analyzing state food insecurity and health programs, their funding/delivery mechanisms and their impact on Nebraskans; and representing OpenSky and cultivating relationships with stakeholder groups and policymakers.
Qualifications for the position include:
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex topics to non-expert audiences.
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and think strategically.
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Willingness to work as a part of a team and enthusiasm for building relationships with key stakeholders.
- Facility with numbers, including the use of spreadsheets.
- Experience in policy analysis or research, including a familiarity with state, federal, and/or local budget and policy issues and data sources.
- Strong commitment to OpenSky’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of experience in health and/or budget policy and research. A master’s degree in public policy, public health, or a related field may be substituted for two years of work experience.
This position is full-time. The salary range for the position is $40,000 – $55,000 based on experience and includes health insurance, retirement benefits, and paid time off for vacation, sick leave, holidays, and family leave. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, although applications received by August 7th will receive priority. To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, please put “Policy Analyst/Outreach Associate” in the subject line. Or, you may apply by direct mail to the address below. No calls please.
Policy Analyst/Outreach Associate
OpenSky Policy Institute
1327 H Street, Ste #102
Lincoln, NE 68508
OpenSky Policy Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and welcomes diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.
Job posted: 2020-07-23