Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Policy Analyst/Senior Policy Analyst, LGBTQI+ Policy
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst on the LGBTQI+ Policy team in its Rights and Justice department. American Progress is devoted to expanding legal and lived equality for LGBTQI+ people. This includes a commitment to advancing policies that combat discrimination, promote equity, and improve the health, economic security, and well-being of LGBTQI+ individuals and families.
The Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for research, writing, and policy analysis, as well as engaging in external outreach to support relationships with stakeholders, including allied organizations, Congress, and federal government agencies. The ideal candidate will have a background in social sciences, economics, or law and a strong familiarity with LGBTQI+ policy in the United States, as well as a proven interest and respect for critical and intersectional thinking.
The successful candidate will be guided by American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but changing the country. They will advance an LGBTQI+ research and advocacy agenda in support of American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Manage multiple LGBTQI+ policy areas, including by tracking major developments in those areas, conducting appropriate analyses, providing commentary, and generating creative and workable policy solutions.
- Conduct qualitative research, including analyzing statutory, regulatory, and other policy documents, to determine their impact on LGBTQI+ people and their families.
- Produce and manage the distribution of a variety of written products—such as reports, issue briefs, articles, and op-eds—to reach a range of stakeholders to achieve outcomes sought.
- Present to colleagues, coalition partners, and decision-makers on key research and policy ideas.
- Collaborate with colleagues across American Progress to advance LGBTQI+ policy goals and strategies and ensure alignment with organizationwide efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; an advanced degree is preferred for the Senior Policy Analyst role.
- This is not an entry-level position; at least three to five years of related experience is required for the Policy Analyst position, and at least five years of related experience is required for the Senior Policy Analyst position. This experience could include work at another research-focused organization, in strategic advocacy, or in government.
- Knowledge and experience working on LGBTQI+ policy issues are required.
- Knowledge of federal policymaking and experience working with Congress and/or federal agencies is strongly preferred.
- Excellent skills in analysis, research, presentation, and written and oral communication.
- Ability to identify and examine key policy issues related to LGBTQI+ individuals and families and develop policy solutions through collaboration and strategic thinking.
- Ability to draft written products in multiple formats, such as reports, issue briefs, articles, op-eds, talking points, memoranda, and social media.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work well in collaboration with fellow team members, colleagues, and other internal and external partners.
- Ability to lead projects and/or initiatives to successful completion.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while maintaining high-quality work.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
The following additional qualifications are preferred but not required:
- Record of effective policy research, advocacy, and organizing work.
- Established relationships within the progressive movement, Congress, and the executive branch.
- Quantitative skills, such as the ability to use datasets and statistical software to produce original analyses.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Both positions are part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. The Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $60,000, and the Senior Policy Analyst position has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Job posted: 2022-10-26