Policy Communications Associate
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in PR, public affairs, or public policy.
- Experience working with complex legal and policy-related topics.
- Experience with creative storytelling, proactive press outreach, and building relationships with journalists and stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, and experience as an on the record spokesperson.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain excellent judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments. Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously, and to influence stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively on a team, delegate work for difficult projects, and work effectively with a number of cross-functional teammates.
About the job
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; and develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns. We’re looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
As a Policy Communications Associate, you will work closely with journalists to help them understand how how our products work and the policies that enforce them. In this role, you’ll have the chance to dive into the complexities of search and recommendations, work on finding the balance between free speech and censorship, and enjoy discussions around complex issues like misinformation. You will work to educate the press and the YouTube community around policy issues, including planning campaigns to explain our policies and systems.
We help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders–and our own employees–about the benefits of Google’s products, our distinctive company culture/values and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. You are quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious. To succeed in this role, you are willing to try new things and can manage numerous projects with tight deadlines. Things happen quickly at Google, and to do great work, you need to be an enthusiastic team player who can work cross-functionally with partners across PR, comms, marketing, product and beyond.
- Work closely with the YouTube Trust and Safety, Product, and Engineering teams to distill technical concepts into coherent and easy-to-understand communications material, including regular outreach to press around product updates and new policy/feature launches.
- Manage issues and press escalations, including misinformation issues and issues related to YouTube’s Community Guidelines.
- Create and execute PR campaigns to drive awareness around YouTube’s search and discovery products and features.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with key journalists and influencers in tech, security, and business press, as well as teams across Google.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-13