Policy Communications Associate (Remote)
Policy Communications Associate
Weedmaps is looking for a dynamic, bright Policy Communications Associate to join our Government Relations team. Primary duties of this position include synthesizing policy research into succinct and persuasive policy documents for external audiences, managing and developing content for the WM Policy website and social media channels, and developing strategies for broadening the reach and impact of Weedmaps’ policy engagement. Exceptional writing, data analysis, project management, and interpersonal skills are desired.
The Impact you’ll have:
- In coordination with Weedmaps Government Relations team leaders and Policy Research and Development Manager, conduct independent research on cannabis-related industry trends, policies, legislative/regulatory developments, and other issues as needed
- Monitor and analyze national, state, and local cannabis policies
- Develop policy briefs, whitepapers, PowerPoint presentations, and other external-facing policy documents
- Identify and carry out strategies for engaging with external research centers, think tanks, and policy-oriented advocacy organizations.
- Manage long-term projects and initiatives for building institutional knowledge and information exchange.
- Collaborate with members of the Government Relations team and other Weedmaps departments to advance campaigns and broader company objectives.
- Special projects as necessary
- Assist in the development of policy-focused talking points for the Government Relations team and other Weedmaps departments as needed.
- Develop and manage content across all WM Policy social platforms (Twitter, Medium, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram).
- Strategize and develop content for the WM Policy website.
- Assist with the writing, editing, and execution of various external communications (Medium articles, op-eds, fact sheets, etc.) to help further establish Weedmaps as a policy thought leader
What you’ve accomplished:
- An undergraduate degree in political science, public policy, economics, or a related field. Top-tier university a plus. Graduate degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 2 years experience researching and drafting policy briefs, whitepapers, PowerPoint presentations, and other external-facing policy documents.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate in a team-based environment.
- Strong research, data analysis, and writing skills as well as the ability to synthesize information succinctly and persuasively.
- A strong grasp of the policymaking process, national/state/local political institutions, issues advocacy campaigns, and how credible/persuasive research can positively shape policy outcomes.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Drive).
- Social media experience is a plus.
- A demonstrated ability to appropriately balance and prioritize competing projects and deadlines.
- A passion for and commitment to advancing comprehensive cannabis reform policies at the national, state, and local levels.
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please inform us if you need assistance participating in the interview process.
Founded in 2008, WM Technology is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry, comprising a B2C platform, Weedmaps, and B2B software, WM Business. The cloud-based SaaS solutions from WM Business provide an end-to-end operating system for cannabis retailers. WM Business’ tools support compliance with the complex, disparate, and constantly evolving regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. Through its website and mobile apps, WM Technology provides consumers with the latest information about cannabis retailers, brands, and products, facilitating product discovery and driving engagement with our retail and brand customers.
WM Technology holds a strong belief in the power of cannabis and the importance of enabling safe, legal access to consumers worldwide. Since inception, WM Technology has worked tirelessly, not only to become the most comprehensive platform for consumers, but to build the software solutions that power businesses compliantly in the space, to advocate for legalization, social equity, and licensing in many jurisdictions, and to facilitate further learning through partnering with subject matter experts on providing detailed, accurate information about the plant.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, WM Technology supports remote work for all eligible employees. Visit us at www.weedmaps.com.
Job posted: 2021-10-03