Policy Communications Manager, WhatsApp
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
WhatsApp is looking for an experienced Policy Communications Manager to join our growing team. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about the future of technology, including digital payments and the ability for people all over the world to privately communicate with one another. We are looking for someone who has deep experience representing complex technical issues, like encryption, but doing so in a way that is accessible and understandable to a variety of audiences. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience handling crises and brings established relationships with media and opinion leaders in the U.S. and in key countries for WhatsApp. This is a hands-on role with significant day-to-day responsibilities working with leaders across WhatsApp.
This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Menlo Park, California, New York, New York, or Washington, D.C.
- Build and execute proactive communications programs for press, policy makers, and other groups like civil society to communicate WhatsApp’s deep commitment to the privacy and security of our users.
- Build and maintain meaningful relationships with reporters focusing on technology, government, and foreign affairs, as well as other external stakeholders.
- Manage in-bound press inquiries on a range of time-sensitive issues with high stakes and visibility.
- Devise and lead proactive media campaigns for WhatsApp on key innovations related to privacy and security – working closely with teams in key countries to ensure these launches can be successful in the diverse communities we serve.
- Develop and create a wide range of communications materials including blog posts, communications plans, statements, briefing materials for executives and more.
- Prepare and train spokespeople as well as represent WhatsApp to the media.
- Represent the Communications team in a wide range of internal, high-impact discussions including with cross-functional partners in engineering, product, policy, legal, and other groups within the company.
- Support crisis communications and be able to quickly drive a cross functional team when needed.
- Manage multiple PR agencies to support these efforts.
- 10+ years of experience in communications for a technology company, government, NGO, or political campaigns
- Experience managing crises communications and developing communications strategies
- Experience distilling technology or policy concepts into plain language for a variety of audiences
- Experience creating messaging materials, and working collaboratively with cross-functional groups including Legal, Public Policy, Marketing, and Research
- Experience developing global communications campaigns
- Experience working with a public relations agency or communications consultants
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-02