Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Policy Consultant, Integrated Care
Who We Are
Established in 2005, Aurrera Health Group is a mission-driven, national health
policy, strategy, and operations consulting firm with extensive experience
designing and administering public programs at the federal and state levels.
With our clients, we navigate, develop, and implement a wide range of health
policies related to Medicaid, Medicare, the Children’s Health Insurance
Program (CHIP), and the Health Insurance Marketplace. Our clients span federal
and state Medicaid agencies, county health services departments, foundations,
consumer advocacy organizations, health systems and providers, and trade
associations. While the core of our firm’s work has historically been in California,
we have recently been involved in projects in a number of other states including
Alaska, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maryland,
Minnesota, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, and Washington State.
Aurrera Health Group’s mission is to advance access to affordable,
comprehensive, equitable, high-quality health coverage and care, and we
work with clients that enable our firm to stay true to that mission. Our woman-led
firm is rooted in a commitment to improving and strengthening the health care
delivery system and realizing our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
both internally and through our work with clients. We pride ourselves on our
relationship-driven approach to customer service, our ability to adapt to
changing landscapes, and our innovative spirit.
Aurrera Health Group offers a dedicated and fast-paced environment focused
on helping a range of clients improve the health care safety net. The Policy
Consultant must be able to play a key role in several projects simultaneously
and will help clients develop and augment state, local, and federal behavioral
health and social supports policies and support on-the-ground program
implementation. The Policy Consultant will provide project coordination and
planning support and conduct policy analysis for clients and Aurrera Health
Group leadership, contribute to work products, and participate in stakeholder
engagement efforts with government officials, researchers, providers, and
Oral and written communication skills are a critical element of this position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Working closely with Aurrera Health Group leadership and fellow staff to
accomplish company and client goals and objectives.
• Providing project management support in the form of developing and
advancing work plans, meeting agendas, and other materials.
• Supporting client-facing work including webinars and standing project
calls with clients.
• Assisting with managing project milestones and due dates.
• Communicating internally and with clients about project status.
• Working across multiple projects simultaneously.
• Conducting background research, policy analysis and draft written
Note to Candidates: We especially encourage those with backgrounds in any
of the following areas to apply: substance use disorder (SUD) policy, opioid
addiction and overdose prevention and treatment, state or local behavioral
health policy or operations, and California health policy.
Aurrera Health Group’s headquarters are in Sacramento, California, with a
second formal office in Minneapolis, Minnesota. However, due to the COVID-19
pandemic, workstations will be remote for the foreseeable future, and it is
anticipated that remote workstations will remain available for all Aurrera Health
Group staff, determined in consultation with your supervisor. Candidates from all
areas of the country are encouraged to apply. Pacific Time working hours
preferred, but not required. Occasional travel will be required in consultation
with your supervisor.
• At least three years of experience – including internships, research
positions, and University-related projects – in health care policy or health
care delivery systems; experience in behavioral health policy, including
SUD and opioid treatment and prevention policy, is preferred;
• A commitment to improving access to health care coverage and the
quality of the health care system;
• Excellent oral and written professional communication skills;
• Experience in working in a dynamic, team-based environment;
• Skills related to effective project management, including strong work
ethic, attention to detail, time management, ability to prioritize, problem
solving, adaptability, enthusiasm about learning, and a proactive work
• A quick study;
• Highly reliable and able to manage assignments of various priority and
duration in a fast-paced environment;
• Comfortable working independently, but with guidance;
• Willing to support project coordination and administrative functions;
• Able to develop relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including
state and local government, hospitals, advocates, health plans, providers,
Preference will be given to those who have:
• A Master’s degree in public policy, public health, social work, or a related
• Experience working in California health policy, behavioral health,
including SUD and opioid addiction treatment and prevention policy;
• Experience in project management and coordination;
• Experience with graphic design and developing visually appealing written
• Experience with data input and analytics, and telling a story with data;
• Experience with websites – including WordPress;
• Contributed to and/or developed professional health policy publications.
• Aurrera Health Group offers a competitive salary commensurate with
experience and the industry.
• The base salary range for this position is $70,000 – $80,000 per year, with an
opportunity for an end-of-year bonus.
• Comprehensive benefit package, paid leave, and 401(k) plan.
Please submit the following documents to email@example.com in one
single PDF packet with the subject line “Policy Consultant Position, Integrated
• Cover letter, tailored to the job you are applying for. General applications
will not be considered.
• Three references with phone numbers and email addresses (references
will not be contacted unless the candidate is notified).
Aurrera Health Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that
celebrates diversity, promotes equity, and encourages inclusivity. We are
committed to building and fostering a team that represents a variety of
backgrounds, perspectives, and skill sets.
As a contractor to the federal government, Aurrera Health Group requires all
employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will
be requested before contract finalization.
Job posted: 2023-09-05