Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy group in the country, is seeking a passionate, dedicated attorney to join its Legal team. The Legal team works to advance Everytown’s mission to reduce gun violence by improving gun-related laws and regulations in all 50 states and at the federal level, generating groundbreaking original research, and contributing to Everytown’s position as a thought leader in the gun violence prevention movement. A key part of the role will be to work as part of an internal, cross-departmental team to develop, advise on, and implement a complex, multi-state policy strategy in a region. You will also need to work in collaboration with state legislators, advocacy organizations, lobbyists, and other influencers to seize opportunities to pass and protect lifesaving gun violence prevention laws at the state level.
Responsibilities will include:
- Draft and advise on legislation to promote gun safety at the federal, state, and local level
- Analyze legislation, legal opinions, and criminal court records
- Perform research on Second Amendment and other firearm-related jurisprudence and gun laws around the country
- Contribute to research reports and draft other public-facing materials
- Work cooperatively with and support teams engaged in Political, Research, Outreach, Communications, Cultural, and Digital projects
- Review the organization’s products and communications materials for accuracy, including reports, speeches, op-eds, emails, and social media posts
- Represent the organization before legislative bodies and in other public forums
- J.D. and membership in a state bar
- 2 or more years of relevant professional experience
- Ability to forge strong relationships with colleagues in positions across the organization and work toward a common goal
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills with outstanding attention to detail
- Ability to explain complicated legal concepts to a general audience
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, flexibility, creativity, and a professional demeanor
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-moving environment and deliver timely and high-quality work
- Willingness to travel on occasion, possibly on short notice
- Comfort working in a sometimes hectic open-plan office
- Strong commitment to reducing and preventing gun violence
This is a full-time position based in New York City reporting to the Deputy Legal Director. Salary commensurate with experience and skill; very generous benefits.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-14