Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Policy Counsel, Media and Technology
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 230 organizations which promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates and people to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and The Leadership Conference Education Fund seeks a Policy Counsel, Media and Technology to protect and defend civil and human rights by advocating for a pro-civil rights agenda in the media and telecommunications/technology space. The Policy Counsel will advocate for policies where technology promotes equality and against those where technology deepens persistent inequality and discrimination. This position works in collaboration with interdepartmental disciplinary teams and with national coalition partners to formulate, coordinate, and lead legislative and agency strategies to pursue transformative policy change to further civil rights.
The Policy Counsel will be part of a Media and Technology team that will lead the organizations’ national program to ensure that access to communications and technology in the 21st century is deemed a necessity and not a luxury. The availability of these services as determined by our nation’s media, telecommunications, and technology policies must promote equity in a free, plural, and democratic society. The Policy Counsel will manage the federal advocacy portfolio that complements this program and advances policy reforms impacting civil rights, digital rights, media justice, technology, and public interest, and will be knowledgeable about a range of media and technology issues.
In addition, the Policy Counsel will identify areas of collaboration across task forces. The Policy Counsel will also be responsible for responding to emerging priorities in these areas as identified by the Executive Vice President (EVP) of Government Affairs and the Senior Program Director, Media and Technology.
What You Will Do:
- Provides strategic guidance to the Media and Technology team concerning legislative and administrative priorities.
- Researches and drafts legal memoranda on federal bills and proposed administrative rules and regulations affecting people and communities impacted by the criminal-legal system.
- Lobbies members of Congress, their staff, and administration officials to support coalition positions on pending legislation and policy initiatives.
- Assists in the coordination of policy briefings for congressional and executive branch staff.
- Provides in-depth analysis of current federal and state media and technology issues and legislation, as needed.
- Writes and/or edits position papers, public comments, coalition advocacy letters, and other documents related to coalition priorities.
- Assists in the development of educational materials, including reports, policy statements, congressional testimony, and talking points to educate policymakers and the general public on coalition priority issues.
- Convenes and facilitates meetings of civil and human rights organizations to address timely public policy issues and to reach consensus positions.
- Provides staff support for the Media and Technology Task Force and the task force chairpersons, including convening and facilitating working groups of the Media and Technology Task Force in partnership with Media and Technology program staff.
What You Will Bring:
- A JD degree. A license to practice law is preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) of combined experience working on legislative and policy matters.
- Working knowledge of media and technology issues and legislation, particularly with a civil rights frame.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze legislative and administrative policy.
- Strong legal research and analytical skills, including drafting and analyzing legislative language.
- Ability to build relationships among a diverse set of coalition partners to work collaboratively and independently within a broad cross section of organizations.
- Ability and desire to work strategically and effectively across disciplines, including with colleagues in internal communications and field departments.
- An understanding of issues relating to law, public policy, and the strategies and tools needed to achieve policy change using federal legislative, administrative, and regulatory processes.
- A capacity to organize, lead, and work with coalitions to achieve lobbying goals.
- A commitment to civil and human rights issues.
- Ability to prioritize competing deadlines on multiple projects and work in fast-paced environment.
- Hill experience is preferred.
- If not already registered, once hired, will register as a federal lobbyist.
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $90,615 – $100,023
Office Re-opening Statement
During the Covid-19 pandemic, staff may opt in to work from the office. Most staff have chosen the option to work remotely. Through an internal working group and staff input, we are assessing how and when we will return more fully to the office. We anticipate that staff will return to the office in some capacity later this year. For now, there is no requirement to work from the office through the end of 2022.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-09