Advanced Energy Economy (AEE) includes local and national advanced energy companies working to make our energy system more secure, clean, and affordable. Advanced energy encompasses a broad range of products and services that constitute the best available technologies for meeting energy needs today and tomorrow. Among these are energy efficiency, demand response, solar, wind, hydro, electric vehicles, biofuels and smart grid technologies. Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting economic impact, the industry employed more than 3.6 million workers in the U.S. and was among the fastest growing sectors of the economy.
AEE’s mission is transforming public policy to enable rapid growth of advanced energy businesses. We educate, engage, and advocate at the federal level, in wholesale electricity markets, and more than a dozen states for executive actions, legislation, and regulations that expand the size and value of markets for advanced energy products and services. We also offer business intelligence products and select business development opportunities to help advanced energy companies grow.
AEE seeks a smart, innovative, and politically savvy Director to join AEE’s professional services team. The Director will work with AEE team members to develop and implement multi-year strategies and campaigns designed to achieve policy successes at the state level that will expand markets for the advanced energy industry, with a focus on electrifying transportation. This growth area presents an exciting opportunity for a politically minded advocate and organizer to develop and refine a successful strategy with AEE membership across varied segments of the advanced transportation industry.
AEE is seeking a highly energetic and self-starting professional who brings a background in issue advocacy at the state or federal level around advanced energy and/or transportation. The Director will work collaboratively, leading project teams under the direction of Managing Directors on both internal and external projects to advance AEE’s policy agenda on transportation electrification in priority states, wholesale markets, and Washington D.C. Candidates should be creative and flexible, with the ability to develop and execute strategies, working in multiple venues with diverse stakeholders. The successful candidate will have excellent organizing skills and ability to find common ground both with a diverse corporate membership and external stakeholders. Candidates will need to have the ability to travel (post pandemic) to meet with AEE members, coalition allies and stakeholders, and public officials.
- Lead development of advanced transportation strategies for market growth, as well as identify future venues for policy success. Current transportation portfolio includes engagement in California, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Virginia.
- Work collaboratively with AEE professional services team members on developing and implementing strategies to meet short and long-term policy objectives in key states as part of AEE’s core portfolio. This may include legislative, regulatory, and administrative (e.g. governor’s office) engagement.
- Work with AEE professional services team members to kick-start Accelerate California, an AEE project in support of the California Governor’s recent Executive Order mandating Zero Emissions Vehicles.
- Work with AEE members to develop policy positions and reach consensus on policy positions in key states and on key issues. Facilitate member calls and lead policy discussions to coalesce member input and prioritize areas of interest and engagement.
- Organize member engagement opportunities through direct decision maker engagement including lobby days and candidate education, earned media, and expert testimony; and participate in legislative, rulemaking, and administrative processes, as needed.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with coalition partners, philanthropy, allies, and key legislative, regulatory and administrative staff.
- Travel on an as needed basis (up to 30%, post pandemic) to targeted states for advocacy days, technical conferences, meetings with key allies and stakeholders, communications outreach, and other efforts on behalf of AEE.
- Bachelor’s and/or Advanced degree, Political Science, Public Policy, Economics or Engineering preferred or applicable comparable experience
- Minimum of seven years of professional experience in and engagement in the clean energy or transportation sector
- Political campaign or organizing experience, preferably in the clean transportation space
- Entrepreneurial approach, flexible attitude, and ability to operate independently, making decisions consistent with AEE’s mission/vision
- Handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to engage members, customers, and funders, and sell AEE and its value proposition to those audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Intellectual curiosity, inquisitive nature, and excellent listening and problem-solving skills
- Performance-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, demonstrated initiative and commitment to achieving goals
Special Application Instructions
Job type: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: On or about February 1, 2021
Please submit a cover letter expressing why this position and organization interest you, as well as a current resume to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2021-01-25