About the job
The mission of the Maryland Hospital Association (MHA) is to serve Maryland hospitals and health systems through collective action to shape policies, practices, financing, and performance to advance health care and the health of all Marylanders. MHA advocates for members and their constituents – caregivers, patients, and communities – before state legislative and regulatory bodies. MHA also aids member organizations in their shared efforts – both within the field and in concert with other stakeholders in the private and public sectors – to improve the quality and cost-effectiveness of health care services.
MHA is currently seeking a Director, Policy to join our team in Elkridge, Maryland. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs & Policy, this person will serve as a vital member of MHA’s team.
As a Director, you will be responsible for:
- Developing subject matter expertise and managing a policy portfolio in specific policy areas that impact Maryland’s health care delivery system.
- Implementing strategies on legislative and regulatory issues at the local, state, and federal levels that may impact Maryland’s health care delivery system, especially as it relates to hospitals and health care systems. Determining the need for action, recommending actions to be taken, and developing measures of success.
- Serving as a MHA’s resource, liaison and representative on a variety of payer, provider, and health system delivery issues, assisting with internal and external workgroups, and working with members.
- Participating in bill and budget hearings, briefings, workgroup meetings and other relevant legislative meetings and provide updates and synthesize pertinent next steps.
- Serving as an internal liaison to other Association departments on regulatory and legislative issues including answering requests for information, producing documents and other written material, providing updates, and synthesizing pertinent next steps as necessary to inform and influence public, legislative and regulatory policy.
- Leading the planning and production of concise and well written documents for internal member meetings as well as position statements, bill analyses, letter of information, testimony, and other external association documents.
- Five to seven years of experience in public policy analysis on regulatory and/or legislative issues.
- Professional education at a Bachelor’s level or professional equivalent in public policy, healthcare administration, political science, government or other related field. Master degree or equivalent work experience a plus.
- Advanced working knowledge of Maryland state government, including legislative and executive agency bodies, and demonstrated experience with health care delivery issues related to local, state, and federal governments and regulatory bodies.
- Knowledge of Maryland care delivery system preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think critically and challenge assumptions.
- Availability for extended work hours, including weekend work, during the 90-day legislative session (January – mid-April).
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-11