Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks a passionate and creative leader to direct our policy team, help secure our democracy and build a better Washington. This position is a unique opportunity to be on the front lines of the fight for a more ethical, equitable and accountable government, while working alongside smart, dedicated and kind people.
As a leading nonpartisan nonprofit government watchdog, CREW is dedicated to defending our democratic institutions, rooting out government corruption and fighting the influence of money in politics through legal action, policy advocacy and communications grounded by in-depth research. CREW is looking for a results-driven leader who is committed to our mission and cares deeply about protecting our democracy. We welcome diverse skills and experiences.
- Manage a seasoned policy team and actively participate in recruitment efforts for new team members.
- Develop, maintain and expand CREW’s policy portfolio.
- Shape policy proposals and analyses in line with CREW’s leadership role in developing policy and legislation on key issues related to democracy, accountability, money in politics and corruption.
- Oversee the development of op-eds, blog posts, reports, congressional testimony and talking points that further CREW’s mission and policy objectives.
- Represent CREW to various constituencies and individuals, including Congress and the Executive Branch.
- Oversee efforts to seek out congressional allies on key issues, and build and maintain relationships with congressional staff.
- Implement CREW’s advocacy agenda, including playing a leading role in pushing for groundbreaking and urgently needed legislation on democracy issues like voting, money in politics, ethics, and checks and balances, as well as advocating for and advising oversight and accountability efforts in Congress and the executive branch.
- Build and participate in coalitions with other organizations and influential players, including maintaining CREW’s prominent role in democracy reform and accountability coalitions.
- Engage in depth in legal and policy analysis.
- Work with the senior management team to help determine organizational strategy and management approaches.
- Significant editing and writing responsibilities.
A great candidate has:
- J.D. or comparable advanced degree (preferred).
- A minimum of 8 years legal and/or policy experience.
- An interest in ethics, money in politics, equity, and preservation of democracy.
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships and alliances with key stakeholders and diverse allies in government and beyond.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with the legislative process.
- Outstanding communication and editing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and managerial skills and sound judgment.
- Ability to develop solid working relationships with senior leadership across the organization and represent CREW in high-level contexts externally.
- Compelling and thoughtful communication style that meets the needs of internal and external audiences and engenders trust and collaboration.
- Enthusiasm and background in mentorship and identifying leadership development opportunities.
- Interest and experience in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.
- The position is based in Washington, D.C. but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
The salary range for this position is $110-160k based on experience and qualifications. Extensive and competitive benefits package including generous paid holidays, vacation time and sick leave, full health, dental and vision insurance coverage, flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses (including a $2500 contribution for dependent care), as well as a generous 401(K) program, student loan contribution plan, and top-notch parental leave policy, all of which you’d be included in on day one.
How to apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2022-01-08