Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Full-time; on site
(one of three locations) Ability to work on site in one of our Virginia offices (northern Virginia, Richmond, or Norfolk)) if/when COVID-19 conditions permit* with in-person availability needed in Richmond during the state General Assembly session
New Virginia Majority seeks a full-time Policy Director to join its senior leadership team. The Policy Director will be responsible for the execution of strategies designed to advance NVM’s public policy goals, with a significant focus on civil rights, economic justice, health equity, housing and tenant protections, environmental justice, criminal legal reform, and immigrants’ rights, all through a racial equity lens. The Policy Director will supervise and work with a policy team, including policy analysts, to advance the public policy goals. This position requires a self-motivated individual with a combination of education and/or professional experience involving the legislative process and advocacy, and policy analysis.
- Work with the senior leadership team and policy team to develop public policy agendas and strategies for advancing those agendas.
- Oversee the preparation of research and related deliverables by policy analysts.
- Present the policy positions and opinions of the organization to the public, government officials, and other organizations.
- Devise strategies with relevant staff to engage New Virginia Majority’s grassroots network and allied organizations to influence policy and budget outcomes, providing staff, members and stakeholders with training and technical assistance, talking points and materials.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with key local, state, and national elected officials to advance public policy agendas.
- Remain informed about local, state, and national policy developments that are connected with New Virginia Majority’s priorities and mission.
- Coordinate with policy analysts to develop annual short and long-term departmental goals.
- Work with the senior leadership team in setting strategic direction for New Virginia Majority.
- Strong understanding of social justice framework with a commitment to social justice and racial equity.
- Excellent communication skills in person, in writing, and by telephone and by email, demonstrating professionalism, courtesy, and respect to a variety of audiences.
- Completes assignments in a timely manner, and appropriately evaluates own progress toward completion of work goals.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team (including with remote staff) as well as in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong supervisory skills to lead a team to meet shared goals.
- Excellent time management and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and information when requested.
- Working knowledge of Virginia’s legislative, legal, and regulatory processes and landscape preferred.
- Bilingual English and Spanish proficiency highly preferred.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please go to https://www.newvirginiamajority.org/jobs to submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Please include the position name and preferred location.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, we are not able to respond to applicants whose candidacy is not being pursued. No phone calls please.
Job posted: 2022-11-10