Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Full Job Description
LOCATION: Flexible; must be located within the U.S.
COMPENSATION: This position is a full-time salaried position with a salary range of $85,000-$95,000 depending on experience. Benefits include, but are not limited to: 403b plan with employer match, vacation, holidays, sick, technology and coworking space reimbursement, and health stipend.
Upstream’s Vision and Mission
Upstream is a non-profit organization that helps business, non-profit and community leaders remake how we consume to protect our planet and create thriving local economies, communities and people. We spark innovative solutions to plastic pollution, but for us, the problem isn’t just single-use plastic – it’s “single-use” itself. It’s the throw-away society at the root of plastic pollution and a host of other problems. So we’re building a movement to make throw-away go away. We’re working for a world where people and the planet are treated as indisposable, and where businesses and communities thrive on reuse-ability. And we invite you to co-create it with us.
With brands signaling support for shifting from single-use to reuse/refill packaging systems, big opportunities have opened up for projects, policies and infrastructure to transform how we consume. A New Reuse Economy is developing and growing quickly to replace single-use consumption. But with these commitments and momentum comes competing ideas around vision, strategies and tactics. Many entrenched interests want to defend and expand the single-use status quo. Upstream’s vision is for 30% of consumable goods to be sold in reusable formats in the U.S. and Canada by 2030 – by transforming the food service, beverage and consumer packaged goods sectors.
The Policy Director position ensures that Upstream continues to be a leading voice on shaping reuse policy. Our role as thought leaders, first-movers, and experts within the reuse space will expand to include a growing set of stakeholders. The Policy Director will be able to bring a systems-view approach to aligning these stakeholders, proposing new policies, and providing internal strategic direction to prioritize programmatic and project directions.
Upstream is in the midst of a transition to focus on not just policy but also on how we can be catalysts to implement change with new, more engaged players such as corporations. We see our core roles in this transition as conveners, facilitators and bridge-builders who grow and support a community of “Reuse Solutioneers” across nonprofit, business, community and government sectors. Our networks include:
- The National Reuse Network – serving more than 500 NGOs, community, and reuse service company leaders.
- The Government Reuse Forum – serving more than 270 government officials in state and local government.
- The Reuse Coalition Leadership Network – serving leaders in Community Reuse Coalitions across the United States and Canada.
- The Reuse Refill Action Forum – co-produced with the Ocean Plastic Leadership Network and the Meridian Institute – serving more than 160 leaders from food service, beverage, CPG and retail brands.
The Policy Director will report to the Chief Strategy Officer.
The Policy Director leads a team of program associates to prioritize Upstream’s support of policy initiatives throughout the US and Canada. The Policy Director will directly manage this team to develop their work into core expertise areas. The Policy Director will have experience in inspiring a team to learn, dig deep and manage our networks confidently.
There are meaningful opportunities to fund and implement reuse at the state and even federal levels, and growing interest in city policy. The Policy Director will be the face of Upstream in local, regional, and national policy discussions. They will set the direction for integrating policy considerations into our programmatic work while supervising a team of program managers. The Policy Director will have existing relationships with legislative offices and be tuned into the rhythm of policy making.
Leveraging the four networks, Upstream convenes dialogues to facilitate education, align strategies, and partner on large-scale reuse projects throughout the United States in the food service, beverage and consumer packaged goods sectors. In collaboration with the CSO, the Policy Director will help identify the best opportunities for Upstream to add value in these sectors, and help develop and implement strategies for the Upstream team to execute.
The Policy Director will:
- Represent Upstream in national and international conversations on reuse policy and implementation
- Build and steward relationships across the business, government and non-profit sectors where we work
- Develop new products and model policies to promote reuse policy and implementation
- Supervise two program managers who manage the networks
- Lead Upstream network facilitation
- Publish policy positions via reports, blogs, vlogs and podcasts
- Facilitate lively, thought-provoking discussions through our four major networks
Must haves for this position
We recognize the person who fills this position could come from a number of backgrounds so we are really focused on the skills and outcomes we hope to achieve as a result of this position.
- Strong preference for candidates with dedicated policy campaigning, lobbying, and/or government affairs background.
- Strong preference for candidates with dedicated experience in circular economy and product policy – such as extended producer responsibility, deposit-return systems, and plastics / packaging reduction.
- Presentation, writing, and public speaking skills and experience for in-person and social media.
- Skills and experience engaging with diverse stakeholders and navigating the various lived experiences that exist in these spaces.
- Willingness and ability to work evening and weekend hours to attend or facilitate meetings for the purposes of local organizing and providing expertise to community-based organizations.
- Well-organized, able to use online platforms and systems to track and prioritize work.
- Willingness to work remotely. Upstream has no home office – we are a “distributed” team.
- Ability to travel for meetings, co-working, staff retreats, and other convenings as part of the job.
- Demonstrated leadership, employee management, and accountability skills.
Upstream operates as a small, virtual team with team members distributed across the U.S. We place a high value on work-life balance and on honoring the privilege of getting paid to do this good work every day. Our work culture balances trust and independence with an equal measure of collaboration and emphasis on supporting each other to do our best work.
Embody Upstream values (the 5 “i”s)”
- Innovative / Solutioneer / Problem-Solver – We are Solutioneers. If we see problems or challenges, we innovate solutions to move forward.
- Inspiring / Positive / Passionate – We work to stay inspired and be inspiring in our work.
- Invitational / Friendmaker / Culture-Steward – We invite others to co-create the more beautiful world we all want.
- Inclusive / Welcoming / Considerate – We value experiences and perspectives different than our own and strive to include these voices in decision-making for greater effectiveness.
- Integrated / Grounded / Personal Ecology – We are Essentialist in our priorities. When there is a setback, failure, or disappointment, we’re able to identify the key learnings and share them. We own our mistakes. We talk to each other, not about each other.
Priority Application Deadline: February 8, 2023
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Upstream commits to prioritizing voices and identities that have been underrepresented by using a robust and intentional recruitment process to ensure our job postings and contract opportunities reach underrepresented people.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and beliefs.
We highly encourage those with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
For more information on Upstream’s commitments to Justice, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism, please visit: upstreamsolutions.org/equity-and-inclusion.
This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Job posted: 2023-01-29