Policy Director, UK & Europe
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the United State’s leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology. We have launched our first international office this year, based in London, and are seeking an experienced policy director who is knowledgeable about evolving European tech issues and regulation, to help guide our European policy work as we advocate for kids in a 24/7 digital world. Responsible for identifying, analyzing, and responding to political and policy developments across the UK and Europe, the ideal candidate will possess experience working on issues in a law firm, in government, or at an advocacy/charity organization.
LOCATION: Based in Farringdon, London, UK
- Be a thoughtful, innovative contributor, creating and implementing Common Sense’s European and UK policy strategy and positioning.
- Research and analyze technical policy issues as they relate to children’s online safety, media literacy, and digital well-being through the fields of media and education.
- Monitor EU and European legislative, regulatory, and media and tech industry developments. This includes but is not limited to GDPR, ePrivacy, AVMSD, Copyright Directive, UK Online Harms, and ICO Age Appropriate Design Code.
- Represent Common Sense at all levels: government, with coalition partners, and with media and tech industry representatives.
- Be a vociferous advocate for children in the UK by influencing high-profile industry players and demonstrating thought leadership on key policy issues.
- Draft and file submissions in government consultations.
- Work in close collaboration with the broader Common Sense Kids Action policy team based in the U.S.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister.
- Minimum two years PQE at a law firm or civil service or pro bono unit.
- Experience in developing and implementing policy within technology, telecommunications, privacy, media, and/or children’s/human rights.
- Excellent analytical, strategic, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- The ability to exert sufficient influence within governmental departments and within the technology and telecommunications sectors to advance legislation and policy issues.
- The ability to tackle complex and challenging problems and work with a diverse array of partners.
- Experience working independently while being able to manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Highly creative and able to develop new negotiation strategies and tactics.
- The ability to adapt and flourish in a fast-paced work environment.
- A desire to work within a team-driven environment, coordinating efforts of several colleagues, some of whom work across different time zones and departments.
- A willingness to travel within the UK and Europe.
- Duration: 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
- Hours: Part-Time or Full-Time
At this time we are only able to consider applicants with the right to work in the UK.
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-03